Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Freelander (https://landroverforums.com/forum/freelander-17/)
-   -   Freelander 1.8 short moaning/singing sound when short turn right (https://landroverforums.com/forum/freelander-17/freelander-1-8-short-moaning-singing-sound-when-short-turn-right-88169/)

Ronio 02-11-2018 05:09 AM

Freelander 1.8 short moaning/singing sound when short turn right

It is very difficult to analyze / localize a short moaning/ singing sound from my LR Freelander from 2001. (ROVER FREELANDER 1.8 16V 88KW 120HP)

The sound is expressed at a short bend to the right at low speed. It seems coming from te left front, but can of course resonate throughout the car. To the left in larger curves at high / low speeds ther is no no noise. It is a clearly short singing sound that lasts about 2 seconds in the corner and then stops. No difference in dry or wet weather.

Next was checked:
-Multibelt (Polybelt) condition is fine. Tension seems good. It is also absolutely no classic "screaming" sound of slipping string
-When sending in short turns, the steeringweel will automatically return to center position when released. The steering house seems to be ok with this
-Done the "viscocheck" . One wheel off the ground and cap32 with 1.2 mtr length at 45 degrees and 5 kg at it. Was horizontally within 30 sec.
- Turning all the way left and right at a stand still position does not produce a major change in sound
- No bearing play on the front wheels when jacking up and moving / feeling manually
-All Joints and rubbers visually inspected and checked with a lever. Everything was tight and rubbers ok. everything injected with WD40 but no change in sound.
-The front brakes inspected but blocks / disks are good and there is nothing in between or loosened

Repairs to this car are quite expensive, so I first want to know which part is the cause of this problem. Excluding by replacing parts until the sound stops is therefore not an option for me. However, there seem to be many possibilities from steering hydraulics to bearings to driveshafts / viscoupling. Therefore my request for help.

Does anyone have any idea what it can be or what I can possibly do to locate the defect?

Greetings Ronio
Excuse me for any bad grammatical written language. I am from the Netherlands ;)

Ronio 02-13-2018 12:55 AM

tested without engine on

I tested it without engine on. I let the car roll off a hill and steered at low speed a short right turn. Same sound.
Does this mean it is a pure mechanical issue and not a steering hydraulic issue?

What can i do tot locate the sound?

Ronio 02-17-2018 06:36 AM

Problem solved

I do not know the techical name of the part, but the metal plate behind the left front brakedisc was bend. It touched the brake disc when making a short right turn.

Greetz
Ronio

XCELLER8 02-18-2018 10:30 PM

that would be the brake backing plate,....glad you solved it