Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Driveline Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveline Vibration

Continuing with my Rover to-do list, I've got a rumble somewhere. Something is wrong somewhere between the viscous coupling and the rear wheel hub bearings. The vibration is ONLY present while more or less maintaining speed or while decelerating, during acceleration it's completely unfelt/heard. This has been a long time issue that is getting progressively worse especially with the return of the cold weather (it was quite bad late last winter but by the time I got around to looking into it the temperatures were warming up and it went away). It's most noticeable between 40-80mph, so 4th and 5th gears. It may be happening at lower speeds but I'm not noticing it. A quick check of the drive shafts showed no play in the u-joints so I'm open to any suggestions. The cheaper suggestions would be best as I know what this driveline is worth[8D]

Old 09-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Driveline Vibration

check your rear differential mounts.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Overlanding

LAW OFFICES OF HOWARD A. GUTMAN

230 Route 206, Suite 307

Flanders, New Jersey 07836

Phone (973) 598-1980 Fax (973) 598-1982

Please get in touch with Mr. Gutman. We have a class action lawsuit against Landrover. I have a 2003 Freelander, I've replaced the engine, the fuel pump, the brakes on passenger side at least 10 times. My car sat at the LR dealership in american fork Utah for 10 months. My car was still under the original factory warranty. I was given a rental car for 10 months. After all was said & done I got stuck with a rebuilt engine at the price of $7000, a rental car bill $6000, paid for a car that I did not use for 10 months & insurance on that car. Finally, after finding others that had the same problems with thier freelander and a young lady on you tube who had wanted to file a class action law suit. Land Rover North America would never return my phone calls, and blamed me for being negligent in the care of my car & thats why I had the problems. I had paperwork, showing that I had done the recommended oil changes etc. I recieved a phone call from Michael at LRNA customer relations, last week & this week, trying to reimburse me for the engine. I forwarded the phone call to Mr. Gutman in hopes that we will soon have these unsafe vehicles off of the road & no one will ever purchase one of these money pits AGAIN!!!

Old 10-01-2008, 12:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LRSUX-You should have done a little research before purchasing the vehicle, and how the hell did you end up paying for warranty work? Something about that is a little fishy.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:04 AM
Drifting

You know what? The purpose of this forum is for Land Rover owners to share experiences and questions. It's a shame you've had so much trouble, but do us all a favor and SHUT UP ALREADY and STOP SPAMMING! My Freelander has it's issues, which I expected because, well, without offending anyone, it's a British car which have been known for needing more than normal tinkering. It's part of their character. Do I love the vehicle any less for it? Of course not! If anything I have gotten to know my Landy far better than any car I've owned before. Thus far I've been left high and dry only once, otherwise it has forged on under conditions that would surely have ruined a lesser vehicle. You could have just as easily boughten a domestic and had worse issues.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:03 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: LRSUX

I have a 2003 Freelander, I've replaced the brakes on passenger side at least 10 times.

Most people would have just cut their losses and just moved on,,after the 2nd or 3rd time.

I think its all about the money.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:52 AM
Three Wheeling

Hi ... F@Lander..

I was checking for Differential Vibrations and It seems I have the same problem You have..

Vibration when decelerating.

Could you Please tell me how you solved It or what was the source of your Vibration?

I have new tires , U Joints , Rotoflex , Front Drive shaft, Front wheel Hubs. Magnecor Cables, and a leak in T case. and rear Differential ... No History on the Car ... Belonged to My Grand Father.

Thanks.

Javoli002

2003 disco 92K

Old 04-11-2009, 11:14 AM
1st Gear

Probably one of the rear Diff mountings suspect. There's two at the top and one at the bottom. It will be the bottom mounting! I have found this to be a common problem, but a cheap fix. Mounting is approx £12+VAT + fitting
It could well need replacing again in little more than a year.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:32 AM
Drifting

Umm.... A few things just to clear things up. First, LRSUX, Land Rover has a CRC (customer relations center) for the very things that you are complaining about, after month 1 why didnt you contact them? And if you are paying for warranty work (even if your vehicle ran out of warranty while the vehicle was in dealer hands) the open date on the repair order is the key. Why go and try and dilute the matter by posting on this board? Your issue can be EASILY solved with Land Rover w/o this petty bs.

And for the original poster of this thread, please take a good look underneath your vehicle with a fine tooth comb. One of the beauties about freelanders is that they give the issue away if you are looking in the right spots. Not only that your driveline could have been taken out and re-installed by an inexperienced tech that could have thrown the driveline balance all out of wack, look for yellow chalk marks to see if the alignment is correct, then i would look for bushing/rubber failure among them. If you still cant see anything a cheap insurance would be to remove the driveshaft assembly and take it to a reputable drive shaft shop and see if it is still in balance. All little things when you think of it... and Good Luck, the minor issue can be resolved.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Drifting

Hey folks,

Thanks for the replies, the input is always appreciated. I've yet to pinpoint the exact cause of this issue as I've not driven the Rover in several months. The always faulty PCV system let me down again and in the sub-zero conditions of early February she blew another cam seal and has been parked since. Just brought her into my garage this past weekend and will start tearing her down this week. I've got a laundry list of repairs and preventative maintenance to do, hoping to have her all up to snuff for next winter. I'll post my findings as I go in case others have encountered the same issues.

Thanks again all,

Chris