Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Freelander (https://landroverforums.com/forum/freelander-17/)
-   -   Freelanders (https://landroverforums.com/forum/freelander-17/freelanders-86849/)

Bundy 11-09-2017 01:47 AM

Freelanders

Looking to buy a second hand freelander...need advice on good and bad points please.

Lisa Bunch 11-09-2017 07:41 AM

You are in the Discovery 2 discussion board. There is a separate board for Freelanders, the folks there will help you.

Best4x4 11-09-2017 08:07 AM

I say RUN FOREST RUN.......... I've never seen a Freelander that was under it's own power in years. That engine was so bad even the company that supplied them gave up. LR2 was a bit better, but a Freelander = brave soul whoever tries to keep one running.

ArmyRover 11-09-2017 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa Bunch (Post 625400)
There is a separate board for Freelanders, the folks there will help you.

I like your optimism....

Now it depends on your location, if you are in the USA the Freelander is a smoldering turd good only for being slapped on a Discovery chassis to make a D-Lander.

Now in the rest of the world it is a great little suv that turns good economy and is fairly reliable.

I disagree about the LR2 they have been by in large awesome little Landies.

oh and moved to the correct forum

OverRover 11-09-2017 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Best4x4 (Post 625407)
I say RUN FOREST RUN.......... I've never seen a Freelander that was under it's own power in years. That engine was so bad even the company that supplied them gave up. LR2 was a bit better, but a Freelander = brave soul whoever tries to keep one running.

So true. I see Freelanders on lawns/streets with For Sale signs for $3000 and less. They look mint, BUT they look mint because they haven't seen the road in years. Freelanders are garbage with a ton of big and small problems. If you gave me one FREE with the purchase of a full tank of gas... I WOULD PASS!

XCELLER8 11-10-2017 08:56 PM

well.....each vehicle or brand has its own problems / issues.....
the Discovery was engineered heavier, tougher from the start.....and most used discovery owners are willng to do the routine maintenance , and repairs to keep them going

the Freelander never was intended to out tough the Disco, hence the engineering was more average car-like...it was intended to be an entry level vehicle ..just because it says "Land Rover " on the hood...doesnt make it tough......and a lot of Freelander owners are more mainstream >>>drive it like ya stole it...till you cant anymore .....then park / get rid of it

that being said...some of the issues to look into are
a "clunk " as the transmission shifts >>rear diff mounts can be shot...affordable

engine has poor performance or sounds like the intake is full of marbles>>the VIS motors are shot and /or the intake manifold needs to be replaced....pricey

these motors need a GOOD tune up at the least...prone to vac leaks (fixable), oil leaks(fixable)....need good spark plugs and coils, regular oil changes etc..

dont buy one on a lark....drive it first, see how it shifts,idles, look it over good, find out what has or may have been done to the vehcle first, alot will depend on how willing/able you are to do some work yourself

a nuclear attack by aliens wouldnt get me to part with my Discovery......
but my daughter loves her Freelander

Farraia 08-06-2021 01:28 PM

Hi! I own a 1999 Freelander 1, 2.0di, and the amber lights of, ABS, traction control and the descend assistance, are lightup. What cn be the cause of it? Thank you!

4B4B 11-09-2021 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Farraia (Post 786391)
Hi! I own a 1999 Freelander 1, 2.0di, and the amber lights of, ABS, traction control and the descend assistance, are lightup. What cn be the cause of it? Thank you!

The famous 'three amigos'.
Probably an ABS sensor. https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rov...amigos.277195/