Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Looking at a 2003 Freelander SE, I need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 10:19 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a 2003 Freelander SE, I need some advice

Hello everyone, I joined to get some information from freelander owners about this car.

Tomorrow i am test driving a 2003 freelander SE with 49k miles. My friend works at the dealership I'm driving it at. The car is priced as $18500, but he says I will probably end up with a price of about $17500.

here are my questions:

1) How is this price? (i assume it varies depending on where in the country you are.

2) I'm driving a 99 acura tl currently, and like the idea of a small SUV, but one of the things that struck me in pictures i saw of the interior is how "barebones" it seems to be, especially the dash. i dunno if i will like the change from the TL.

3) i heard, but haven't yet seen firsthand, that the gagues are small and not very brightly lit. any thoughts on this?

4) how is the 4x4? i won't be taking it offroad, but am in massachusetts so there is plenty of snow.

5) i've read that the pros to this car are it's smooth quiet ride, and that it's built well, and the cons are it's somewhat small and has slow acceleration and bad gas mileage.

6) ANYTHING else i should know about this car. cars i've owned in the past are, since i got my license in 2000 (i'm 21 now)
1991 firebird (hahah)
1993 ford explorer
1995 grand cherokee
1996 lexus sc300
1999 acura TL (currently)

i don't usually keep cars long...the 3 years i've had my TL are the longest i've kept a car.

Old 12-12-2005, 06:42 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking at a 2003 Freelander SE, I need some advice

I'll throw in my two bits and address your points. I have a 2002.

1. price - Check edmunds.com to see if your getting a good deal. Sounds a little pricy for a two year old vehicle unless the milage is very low.
2. barebone. - I have an S model so it is very barebone. But I like it that way. Throw my hunting gear in the back or work tools and I don't have to worry about ripping any leather.
3. guages- yes they are basic. But my gripe is that I'm 6-1 and the steeing wheel covers up the top of the guages so I have to look down under the steering wheel to see my speed.
4. 4x4 - This is where it shines. I live down 2 miles of dirt roads that are winding and hilly. They are the last to get plowed after a snow storm. I have yet to be stopped by any snow or mud. I love the way the AWD kicks in and you can do some great power slides. I feel like Colin McRee flying down the back roads. For just putting around in the snow it might be an overkill for your needs.
5. I do not find the ride very quite and smooth compared to other AWD SUV of the same size. Honda, Acura, Lexus, toyota all have better and smoother rides. But the ride is not bad but it is not comfortable to a long drive. Two hours in the machine and my legs are cramped and my butt hurts.
Gas milage averages at 19 to 20 taking back roads each day. Not great, but not too bad.

Cons - Brakes pads go out very quickly and there is no wear indicators so you have to watch this very carefully or you end up replacing the roters and that is not cheap.
Changing the oil is a pain since you have to drop the entire skid plate which takes about 15 minutes. (Unless you modify it like I have.)
The dealer gets an arm and leg for any repairs.

Pros - Goes anywhere, great in the snow and looks good.

Old 03-14-2006, 04:29 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking at a 2003 Freelander SE, I need some advice

Don't do it!!!! I have a Freelander 2002 and I've had nothing but problems with it. Landrover has actually discontinued the model. You can check on their website...it doesn't even list it as a model any more. I've had my rover in the shop 12 times and 11 of those times was for replacement of defective parts!! Not a good percentage.

They advertise that this vehicle is the most travelled vehicle on earth and yet I can't get it out of the driveway!!! They talk about adventerous, quality, and supermacy but I have not seen any of these qualities. Save your money and buy something else.