Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Freelander (https://landroverforums.com/forum/freelander-17/)
-   -   Need Help! 2002 Freelander Overheating (https://landroverforums.com/forum/freelander-17/need-help-2002-freelander-overheating-89442/)

cthookline 05-09-2018 04:28 PM

Need Help! 2002 Freelander Overheating

Hello everyone,
My son just bought a 2002 Freelander. He’s owned it for 3 weeks and it has overheated. No previous signs or symptoms that he can recollect. The coolant went down very low, probably empty in expansion tank from what I gather, only ran for 1 min before shutting off vehicle once overheating was recognized. The whole time, the temp gave in the car did not show more than normal operating temp.

- The temp gage shows in the middle
- the expansion tank went empty
- seems like a pin hole in the rad (I think)
- inlet hose on expansion at top of expansion tank keeps spitting out coolant
- fans seem to take a long time to kick on
- hose at bottom of rad seems cold after the car has been running for 20 min
- expansion tank fills up after 20 min running or driving and boils over

I had a fellow tell me it has a blown head gasket or cracked head, but I checked the plugs, they look good - but none look polished clean - not steam coming from tail pipe either.

Could this be coolant temperature sensor, thermostat issue, or really bad air lock?

Please Help !
My son went to Bible college and the car broke down, now it’s back in my yard, Hahahaha...dad can’t fix a Land Rover, LOL

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!!

Chad

XCELLER8 05-11-2018 09:53 PM

definitely sounds like it's head gasket time....while its apart be sure to take heads to a machine shop for a good check over......they will do a valve job and deck the heads (make sure they are flat..not warped)
remove the rad and either have it tested/cleaned or replace it
install new hoses and thermostat............

annnnnnnd.....nows a good time to replace the valve timing belts

this all sounds like a lot , and it is, but better to get it done right the first time....
are you doing the work yourself ??

cthookline 05-12-2018 12:12 AM

Thanks for your response!
Head Gasket?!?!
I was truly hoping it wouldn’t be!
Could there be anything else it could be?
Yes I’d be doing the work myself....the car only has 125000 km on it.
Is there a way to test if it’s the head gasket? Other than looking at the plugs.

Thanks for your help!

Chad

XCELLER8 05-12-2018 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by cthookline (Post 647372)
Thanks for your response!
Head Gasket?!?!
I was truly hoping it wouldn’t be!
Could there be anything else it could be?
Yes I’d be doing the work myself....the car only has 125000 km on it.
Is there a way to test if it’s the head gasket? Other than looking at the plugs.

Thanks for your help!

Chad

pressure test the cooling system....that will help a lot with the diagnosis, it is normal on these to be able to see the coolant circulating through the reservoir tank, but it should never fill up and boil over.....
the temp gauges are not real specific ....by the time it "reads" hot....the damage may have already been done

Pete Gonzales 09-06-2018 11:49 AM

02 Freelander runing hot.

Originally Posted by cthookline (Post 647082)
Hello everyone,
My son just bought a 2002 Freelander. He’s owned it for 3 weeks and it has overheated. No previous signs or symptoms that he can recollect. The coolant went down very low, probably empty in expansion tank from what I gather, only ran for 1 min before shutting off vehicle once overheating was recognized. The whole time, the temp gave in the car did not show more than normal operating temp.

- The temp gage shows in the middle
- the expansion tank went empty
- seems like a pin hole in the rad (I think)
- inlet hose on expansion at top of expansion tank keeps spitting out coolant
- fans seem to take a long time to kick on
- hose at bottom of rad seems cold after the car has been running for 20 min
- expansion tank fills up after 20 min running or driving and boils over

I had a fellow tell me it has a blown head gasket or cracked head, but I checked the plugs, they look good - but none look polished clean - not steam coming from tail pipe either.

Could this be coolant temperature sensor, thermostat issue, or really bad air lock?

Please Help !
My son went to Bible college and the car broke down, now it’s back in my yard, Hahahaha...dad can’t fix a Land Rover, LOL

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!!

Chad

Actually I have the very same vehicle and you've just described the very same symptoms to the letter that I had. Quick fix was a thermostat kit. Unfortunately it is under the intake manifold and the only way to replace it was to pull the intake which includes the fuel lines and all the upper wiring ect.