Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Freelander (https://landroverforums.com/forum/freelander-17/)
-   -   Problems with idling speed on 1998Xdi (https://landroverforums.com/forum/freelander-17/problems-idling-speed-1998xdi-1313/)

LANDY1998 08-22-2005 11:33 AM

Problems with idling speed on 1998Xdi

Since a couple of weeks I am facing problems with my iddling speed. It sometimes stays up at 1250rpm and only after releasing the break pedal, it falls down to 750 to 800rpm. Every know and then, the iddling speed goes up to a maximum of 3000rpm without any interfeerence. I also notice, that the between shifting gears, the engine rpm does not fall back to minimum quick enough.
According to the service station, the accelerator potentiometer (Part # SLD100061) is faulty and gives the wrong output voltage. However, I took the Bosch Potentimeter apart and checked all the contacts but could not discover any wear out or other abnormalities.

Due to the enormous price of the part (approx. AUD 1,200 without labour), I am very reluctant to change it before having checked all the other possibilities.

Did anyone experience similar problems with her/his Freely?

Thanks for your comments and best regards from down under

Peter

modyfyit 09-10-2005 01:21 AM

RE: Problems with idling speed on 1998Xdi

is the check engine on??? cause there is another issue with the upper plenum that can cause the same symptoms

modyfyit 09-10-2005 06:39 PM

does it go down to 800rpm them pick itself up?? does it happen only at certain weather conditions? how do you drive the car? any thing out of the ordinary that you can hear? is the cel on? is your air filter clean?

LANDY1998 09-10-2005 11:11 PM

I observed two different behaviours recently.

[/b] Situation 1 (going to work approx. 20km each way) [/b]
- For the last two weeks, the rpm's always went slowly down to about 1250rpm and only afterrelaesing the break-pedal the rpm went down to 800. during a full tank, the rpms went down to 1250rpm as in every other car but the less diesel in the tank, the longer it took the rpm's the get down to iddling speed (1250rp, but never down to 800rpm without releasing the break pedal).
- The rpm's never pick itself up and the engine check light never came up
- I haven't observed any influence on the Cell-charging and no the cell is never in operation while beeing charged.
- The weather conditions were mostly dry between 15 and 25 °C, only about two days of light rain. But I sense that the engine rpm's are behaing better in more humid conditions.

[/b] Situation 2 (driving almost 600km in day) [/b]
- Yesterday we drove up the coast and I refilled the almost empty tank before setting off
- The weather conditions were dry and quite warm (20 - 30°C)
- for approx the first 200km (almost only motorway) the engine was running fine without any noticable problems
- after about an hour break we continiued our trip and the engine warning light started to come up frequently but also the iddling rpm's sometimes remained between 1500 and 2000 rpm.
- after having made about 330kms (half of the tank) the rev's started to pick up by themselfes and the iddling speed hardly never went below 1500 rpm's
- The Cell phone was never connected to the car for the entire trip

I will observe the behaviour again today and check whether the cooling down of the engine has had an influence or not.

modyfyit 09-11-2005 12:11 AM

thats a thinker bro... i will talk with a buddy at work on monday about it, see if we cant come up with a answer.. has me stumped for the time being

LANDY1998 09-12-2005 09:30 AM

Today the weather cooled down but I also refilled the tank to the max. and after about 20 km the iddling behaviour went back to "normal" which means the rpms slowly go down to about 1250 and only after releasing the break pedal, the rpms drop to 800.

modyfyit 09-13-2005 09:35 PM

test your map sensor... if that is bad it will tell your computer to keep putting fuel in the motor making it fall down to base idle alot longer than normal

LANDY1998 09-13-2005 11:50 PM

G'Day Modifyit

Thanks for your competent input. Which map sensor are you talking in particular?

Thanks Peter

LANDY1998 09-14-2005 10:12 AM

Hello Modifyit,

Figured out in the meantime, that MAP sensor stands for Mainfold Air-Intake Pressure sensor but also where it is located in the engine compartment. I'll try to take the sensor out for a close inspection.

Thanks again for your very helpfull assistance.

Peter

LANDY1998 09-16-2005 02:52 AM

Just un- and replug the wires seems to have solved the problems:):)