Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   General Range Rover Discussion - Archived (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-range-rover-discussion-archived-19/)
-   -   '06 Sport: Jolts when starting from a stop (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-range-rover-discussion-archived-19/06-sport-jolts-when-starting-stop-33979/)

Jay Renneberg 09-07-2010 12:06 PM

'06 Sport: Jolts when starting from a stop

2006 Range Rover Sport (not supercharged)*

Once the Transmission is hot:

with the vehicle a stop, step on the gas to accelerate, the rpm's go up, vehicle does not respond, then slam into gear.... This is intermittent, and only when hot. Also, when stopping, the car sometimes requires additional break pedal pressure just before total stop.

Dealer reprogramed the transmission. This helped some on the stop, but not at all on the jolting start.

Truck has 40k mile on it. I was thinking maybe service the tranny? maybe a sticking solenoid? maybe a front drive train problem?

Ideas please.

LRScott 09-07-2010 12:16 PM

Servicing the transmission is definitely an option. It is rare that rovers have transmission problems. It is still probably a sensor or computer issue the dealer hasn't tracked down yet. It could be the torque converter also.

Jay Renneberg 09-07-2010 12:25 PM

I agree that the transmissions in the rovers have been good.
Searching on the web brings out some possible links to complete front diff failures that result in the vehicle skidding to a stop at hwy speeds and having to be towed (that sounds like a bad day).

Anybody heard of this????

As for my dealer, they have a history of not solving problems, but they do one heck of an oil change;).

Jay Renneberg 09-07-2010 06:21 PM

Anybody know where besides the dealer for Trans fluid and filters?
Thanks.

LRScott 09-07-2010 10:41 PM

06 differentials don't have the problem. 03 to 05 had it. I honestly doubt that changing the fluid will cure the problem, certainly worth a shot though. Usually resetting all of the adaptive values, and or reprogramming the ECUs will fix the problem. Try shifting manually in sport mode and see if the problem persists.

Jay Renneberg 09-07-2010 10:48 PM

LRScott, thanks for the info on the diff.

The dealer did what they refered to as "a complete reset.". And stated "there is nothing else to program"

local tech is looking at it tomorrow.... He thinks it could be the MAF...
Any other ideas?

LRScott 09-08-2010 11:10 AM

I guess it COULD be the MAF. I've never heard of that being a problem on the newer rovers, but it has been known to cause awkward shifting behaviors on older rovers like mine. Cleaning them usually fixes the problem, however some MAFs are very sensitive to cleaning and can be damaged in the process. If you want to determine if its a MAF problem or not, just have them look at the readings on their computers to see if its within spec.