General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

13 years after selling my last RRC, getting another!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 05:52 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 13 years after selling my last RRC, getting another!

After MUCH shopping, negotiating and dreaming, I have come to terms on a 93 RRC SWB/County/Sport. For those of you that watch Craigslist closely, this is the Aegean Blue truck that is located in Roanoke, VA. I am going to pick it up this coming Saturday and I'm pretty excited. I was really torn between a P38 and RRC - ended up going with what I know since I owned a 91 RRC SWB/County that I sold in 2001.

My question for anyone who cares to comment is this:

What would your short list of emergency parts consist of to have in your RRC for a 700 mile road trip?

Certain belts?
Certain hoses?
Electrical?
A particular brand of Scotch and perhaps some firewood?

I am going to try to see if I can assemble a small emergency/roadside kit to have in the truck for the L O N G drive back home.

Thanks to anyone who has any suggestions.

SMD

Old 02-26-2014, 09:30 AM
1st Gear

Jump Pack, ignition module and other ignition parts since NAPA won't have them.
Bailing wire...a very useful but disrespected quick fix. I have a '91 Classic with a bad engine for sale...$1,000.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by derekmorris
Jump Pack, ignition module and other ignition parts since NAPA won't have them.
Bailing wire...a very useful but disrespected quick fix. I have a '91 Classic with a bad engine for sale...$1,000.

Hello Derek and thanks for the reponse! I was beginning to think I might end up with a big fat ZERO in the "number of replies" column on my thread..........LOL.

By "jump pack" you mean jumper cables I think? Or?

Is "ignition module" the same thing as "ignition coil"?

Bailing Wire: Right On! A low-tech fix is STILL a fix man! I am with you on this one.

I sent you a PM about your 91.

SMD

Old 02-26-2014, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

for the scotch

Old 02-26-2014, 03:19 PM
Drifting

Definitely! Assuming I can afford that after factoring in the fuel needed to go 700 miles driving a vehicle that MAY get 13MPG/Hwy.

But, in the event of a catastrophic breakdown, I think the McCallan will certainly ease the pain a bit for sure.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think he means by a "jump pack" a battery unit with jumper cables that charges on 110V and then you carry it to jump your vehicle when you have no other vehicle with a battery around to jump from.

If you need anything or just want to grab a bite to eat shoot me a message, and I will give you my number. I will be in town on Saturday, and would be glad to catch up and look at your new ride. Where are you coming from and what time do you think you will make it to Roanoke?

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 02-26-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:48 PM
Drifting

Hello Tony - the gentleman who is selling the 93 RRC SWB Sport to me has agreed to do me the HUGE favor of driving the truck down to Charlotte to save me some cash on airfare. So, I thank you greatly for the introduction and offer, but I am heading due South from Charlotte after meeting up with him Saturday at noon'ish in Charlotte.

Poking through very, very OLD archives of this forum, I found this:

rrspares

Good info and advice not only for RRC, but other Rovers as well.

Shawn.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:52 PM
Drifting

Also: a link to another Forum where folks were discussing this very subject:

Which spare parts do carry with you?

Shawn.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:40 PM
Overlanding

Good for you getting back to what matters. I only lasted 5 years between selling my old 95 LWB and picking up my new 95 LWB. Missed it everyday in between, except the day I remembered it blew some teeth on the rear diff when I'm on my way to a job, and the day it sprayed hot water on my wife's leg cause that little drain plug for the AC was clogged. Oh and the day.....
Still worth it.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:35 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by AL518
Good for you getting back to what matters. I only lasted 5 years between selling my old 95 LWB and picking up my new 95 LWB. Missed it everyday in between, except the day I remembered it blew some teeth on the rear diff when I'm on my way to a job, and the day it sprayed hot water on my wife's leg cause that little drain plug for the AC was clogged. Oh and the day.....
Still worth it.
Definitely.....despite the issues these trucks are prone to, all vehicles will have some level of issues.....why not drive a cool/unique one?

Canada seems like a good place to make a home for a RRC - post a picture of your rig if you have time (in its natural Canadian Habitat).

Shawn.

Quick Reply: 13 years after selling my last RRC, getting another!