General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Range Rover Info / Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:36 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Range Rover Info / Help

So I'm purchasing a 1998 Range Rover tomorrow afternoon and I had a couple of questions.

First, on the drivers side, apparently the mirror glass has become disconnected from the motor somehow. They said the glass was completely loose and the motor is still fine - thoughts on fixing that?

Second, it has 95k miles and the "service engine" light is on. Not the "check engine" - but the "service engine". What is the easiest / cheapest way to reset that? I heard some people saying there is a LR sticker under the passenger seat and you stick a paperclip through that and there is a button a ways down that resets it - but other people say only a dealer can do it with a special computer - anyone know for sure?

Third, it has 95k miles - anything I should look for / be aware of?

And finally, I know this is stupid - but what basic features should this thing have? Do the range rovers have heated seats / heated front windscreens like the discos?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jnance50
First, on the drivers side, apparently the mirror glass has become disconnected from the motor somehow. They said the glass was completely loose and the motor is still fine - thoughts on fixing that?
While I have never had to deal with this one my self, I bet it just snaps back on the motor mount. I am also willing to bet that the tabs are broken that holds it in place.

Second, it has 95k miles and the "service engine" light is on. Not the "check engine" - but the "service engine". What is the easiest / cheapest way to reset that? I heard some people saying there is a LR sticker under the passenger seat and you stick a paperclip through that and there is a button a ways down that resets it - but other people say only a dealer can do it with a special computer - anyone know for sure?
I know that has been the way to do it on my Discovery but I have not done it on the Range. I would look and see if it has the peice you are talking about.

Third, it has 95k miles - anything I should look for / be aware of?
It will probably need the head gaskets done soon if they have not been done. Check the air suspension underneath and look at each of the bags for cracks and an eventual need for replacement. Run the EAS through all the setting letting the pump run to fill tha tank and fill the bags, it should fill them quickly when you change the height setting.

And finally, I know this is stupid - but what basic features should this thing have? Do the range rovers have heated seats / heated front windscreens like the discos?

Thanks in advance!
They should all have mainly the same loaded options, the trim inside will be different between the SE and HSE models. What is the asking price?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:35 AM
4wd Low

Asking price is $4500. She said that she has owned it the past 5 years and has all the maintenance records and that shes always taken it to a land rover mechanic. When I asked about things that had been done she listed off in the list was even the valve cover gaskets - which makes me think it has been really well taken care of (who as a casual owner replaces the valve cover gaskets?). I figured the head gaskets would be coming up soon - I know they fail around 100k on these things and I'm pretty sure she has not had them done yet. But she did say that it was in to the dealership to have the EAS looked at prior to sale and got a clean bill of health (from the stealership no less) and she has the record to show that that check was done. I'm going to look at - and possibly purchase - it tonight.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Rock Crawling

Sounds nice. You can probably pick up a mirror on ebay for $50.00 and install it in an hour. As far as the service engine light, you can read the codes with a simple OBD II scanner and reset the light after you have fixed whatever is making it light up. Sounds like a pretty good deal especially with a working EAS. I wish mine still had that feature but the previous owner put coils on it.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The service engine light I don't think can be reset without the dealerships special computer. The most common way to reset it (at least according to other owners) is to disconnect and reconnect the battery. Most owners just end up taking the stupid light out of the instrument cluster, as it really doesn't mean anything. My service light does not come on at all, either cause it burned out, or the previous owner pulled it out.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LRScott
The service engine light I don't think can be reset without the dealerships special computer. The most common way to reset it (at least according to other owners) is to disconnect and reconnect the battery. Most owners just end up taking the stupid light out of the instrument cluster, as it really doesn't mean anything. My service light does not come on at all, either cause it burned out, or the previous owner pulled it out.

Thanks Scott for clearing that one up.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:12 PM
4wd Low

Thanks guys. Even knowing that with 95k miles the head gasket is going to need to be done soon - I still think it's a pretty good deal.