Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   General Range Rover Discussion - Archived (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-range-rover-discussion-archived-19/)
-   -   2003 RR check engine soon! (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-range-rover-discussion-archived-19/2003-rr-check-engine-soon-20809/)

range03 03-24-2009 03:19 PM

2003 RR check engine soon!

I know this might me be a typical thread. But after extensive searches i can't find the fix.

Problem 1:

Back in January of this year i had my ECU motor for the transfer box replaced. No error messages for 2 months until recently i get a
"Trans failsafe" HI message. Then it goes away for a week and then pops up gain.

The car is running loud and reving funny , not smooth. Help!

Problem 2:

This same independant replaced my radiator and expansion tank using
Peak Antifreeze. BIG MISTAKE! The dealer just Flushed and Filled with the BMW coolant. But the car is still running rough. They told me the check engine soon light is on because i need a MASS FLOW SENSOR?

Any solutions?

roverguy7 03-24-2009 08:05 PM

need the actual codes to be of any help to you. however, these mafs dont go bad very often at all, its usually the tube from it to the intake that gets loose on the throttle body, it will throw codes for the mafs. take a look, big plastic tube in the front middle of the engine, cant miss it, see if its loose where it hits the engine. other quick things to check would be the two small hoses that conect to that hose at the throttle body, and also that you have o-rings at the mafs, both the air filter side and the tube side

range03 03-24-2009 08:27 PM

Thanks for the reply. I will try to get the fault codes.

range03 03-24-2009 08:31 PM

Just checked the big plastic tube and its tight on both ends.

range03 03-27-2009 11:48 AM

My original fault codes were P2771 and P0720. I was told by the dealer that i need to replace the Transfer Case Range Motor ECU. After having my independant guy install this unit the truck runs hard and does not shift smooth.

Could it be that he did not calibrate it correctly?

Disco Mike 03-27-2009 02:23 PM

So what are you current codes?

range03 03-27-2009 03:38 PM

I need to let you know next week when i have the MAF replaced.

roverguy7 03-28-2009 12:17 AM

no, it does need to be calibrated, however that will not cause it to shift harshly... are you sure that its in high range?

range03 03-28-2009 06:18 AM

Dave

I got my last Trans failsafe program message about a wek ago. It definitely read "HI". So based on your last message i think you stated i should get it recalibrated.

Thanks

Disco Mike 03-28-2009 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by range03 (Post 109149)
I need to let you know next week when i have the MAF replaced.

Stop going to the dealer, go out and find an auto parts store that will read your codes for free, then get back to us with those 4 digits fault code numbers TODAY.
You may find you don't need a MAF and if you do, you can install it yourself for at least $100 less.