Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   General Range Rover Discussion - Archived (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-range-rover-discussion-archived-19/)
-   -   2004 RR with engine problems (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-range-rover-discussion-archived-19/2004-rr-engine-problems-64772/)

GROVERDISCO 01-30-2014 12:07 PM

2004 RR with engine problems

Thinking about buying a 2004 RR HSE with 190KM that has had the timing chain fail or start to. I have not seen the truck yet but is a days drive away to look at so kinda want advice. The guy said he took it in for body control issues that were fixed. Started to drive it home and over heated and towed back to the shop. Shop said the over heating was caused by the timing chain failing. Owner said the truck will run but should be towed. Truck looks to be in very good shape inside and out but engine may be cooked. I have read up on the BMW 4.4 and know of the issues just not sure how it would of handled the over heat. Any thoughts?

LR Techniker 01-31-2014 08:43 AM

Never heard of timing chains make it over heat. I would be inclined to think it had two different issues if the chains were bad AND it was overheating.

Before you purchase, know that the worst case scenario is that it may need a motor.

GROVERDISCO 01-31-2014 09:55 AM

I know the discovery had overheating issues and slipped liners but not to sure about the 4.4 RR. Anybody know of any common overheating issues with the 4.4?

LR Techniker 01-31-2014 06:58 PM

2004 will be the BMW M62 engine. as far as overheating issues, its just like any other engine:

Stuck thermostat
Coolant Leaks
Head Gaskets

These engines are real leakers. Oil and coolant from every place possible.

They are also very difficult to bleed. If the coolant was ever low or somebody made a repair, it may overheat from an air pocket in the system.

tuercas viejas 02-02-2014 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by LR Techniker (Post 443755)
2004 will be the BMW M62 engine. as far as overheating issues, its just like any other engine:

Stuck thermostat
Coolant Leaks
Head Gaskets

These engines are real leakers. Oil and coolant from every place possible.

They are also very difficult to bleed. If the coolant was ever low or somebody made a repair, it may overheat from an air pocket in the system.

I will second that and at best a difficult engine to bleed air out of the cooling system care is needed and the expansion tank has a habit of splitting open. Often the beast has glowed in the dark!

In any case the engine is a sludgy animal and care has to be excercised with frequent oil changes; otherwise the chains and auto tensioners go wild.
I much prefer the Jag power successor.
I would give that L322 a pass by.
TV

tony1963 02-03-2014 06:18 PM

As a dealer who sells hundreds of used cars per years, I stopped buying any vehicle with the BMW V8 due to the endless issues of oil leaks, cooling system leaks, timing chains, gasket failures and transmission issues, to name a few.

I would actually pay money to NOT have the dog that you are describing. However it appears that you have found a gold mine and will probably buy it despite the best advice.

Remember that you were advised otherwise.

GROVERDISCO 02-03-2014 09:39 PM

Your right, probably will buy it and repair it because that's what I like to do. Worst case I'm looking for a used engine to rebuild. I have always wanted a RR of this year and can now have to to repair and make my own. I really like the quirkiness of the land rovers for some strange reason, guess that why I keep buying them and putting them back on the road! And I was more or less looking for ideas or what could be wrong with the engine to cause an over heat issues, though there may be something very common like on the D2s

tuercas viejas 02-04-2014 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by GROVERDISCO (Post 444510)
Your right, probably will buy it and repair it because that's what I like to do. Worst case I'm looking for a used engine to rebuild. I have always wanted a RR of this year and can now have to to repair and make my own. I really like the quirkiness of the land rovers for some strange reason, guess that why I keep buying them and putting them back on the road! And I was more or less looking for ideas or what could be wrong with the engine to cause an over heat issues, though there may be something very common like on the D2s

This engine is entirely different genre to anything you will encounter with the older Buick based D2 engine. (that was its route from being shelved in the 1960's)
The block is alum with a fused alumasil coating which CANNOT be rebored so once its shot its shot! Remember this engine first came out in the 7 series BMW with nicasil fused cylinder coating. They were re-called due to cylinder erosion.
The timing chains and variable timing mechanism is notorious for problems and you need special tools to set it up. The last time I purchased the tool set it was $850.

The prices for the repair parts ( bearing shells, rings, even a gasket set are eye watering prices!)
Most owners who have serious problems with the engine elect to buy a new one, now at about $16,000 exchange!!!! Or look for a low mileage take out at about $5500 for something decent.
In the end you will be left with a car that has more money invested in it than its worth.
Remember this was something that was cobbled together by BMW when it had LR tenure. It was the shortest running Range Rover production variant.
Not a happy beast looking back at it!
Lots of expensive service issues.
TVv

GROVERDISCO 02-04-2014 03:56 PM

Wow, that's some serious numbers! What years of BMW cars used the same engine? Just incase I'm looking for one.

04duxlr 02-04-2014 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by tony1963 (Post 444451)
As a dealer who sells hundreds of used cars per years, I stopped buying any vehicle with the BMW V8 due to the endless issues of oil leaks, cooling system leaks, timing chains, gasket failures and transmission issues, to name a few.

I would actually pay money to NOT have the dog that you are describing. However it appears that you have found a gold mine and will probably buy it despite the best advice.

Remember that you were advised otherwise.

Wow, a German engine known for oil leaks, coolant leaks and gasket failures. I wonder how they decided that was a perfect fit for a British car?

Just wondering, since you are in Canada can you replace the V8 with a diesel?