General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 RRC starting to sound like air-cooled VW!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 RRC starting to sound like air-cooled VW!

Having (hopefully and finally) found the cause of the stalling issue, I have another one, the truck is starting to sound like a air-cooled vw - as if there was a hole in the exhaust or headers, loud and throaty.

I've checked everywhere and I don't see any gaps or holes in the exhaust.

It might be coincidence but it also seems like I'm not getting as much power either.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

Old 06-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Are those cats old or new? Could be cats falling apart internally and clogging up your flow... Too much backpressure.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Overlanding
Default Cats

Originally Posted by Cosmic88
Are those cats old or new? Could be cats falling apart internally and clogging up your flow... Too much backpressure.
As I have no idea how old they are, and the rear muffler recently disintegrated, I'm going to guess old.

Anything I should aware of when replacing in terms of OEM vs. aftermarket, etc?

Old 06-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd prefer to remove the cats from the equasion entirely but I live in a state where that is easy to get away with... no testing.

I hear good things about the borla and magnaflo stuff... honestly I am not a "brand" expert or anything so whatever is good for the price. Just make certain you have all your tune up stuff in order. Meaning, make sure you don't have any current issues causing your air: fuel mix to be overly rich. Rich running and any good amounts of raw fuel like excessive engine cranking with no spark) running through the cats will degrade the catalyst materials and then you will have wasted some hard earned $$$.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:30 AM
nkg
3rd Gear

Hello

Have you checked the exhaust manifold gaskets? I had the rear one go, just a pin hole, but it made the engine sound as thought the tappits were coming out.

If someone hadn't said, put your hand round the back of the engine and see if the exhaust is leaking where the manifold is bolted on, I wouldn't have found it. I was all set to pull the head off and do the cam, followers etc.

NKG

Old 06-30-2011, 08:25 PM
Overlanding
Default I think you're right.

Originally Posted by nkg
Hello

Have you checked the exhaust manifold gaskets? I had the rear one go, just a pin hole, but it made the engine sound as thought the tappits were coming out.

If someone hadn't said, put your hand round the back of the engine and see if the exhaust is leaking where the manifold is bolted on, I wouldn't have found it. I was all set to pull the head off and do the cam, followers etc.

NKG
I think I might have a leak on the left side. Happy it's not something more sinister, though I never look forward to extracting exhaust hardware!

Thanks for the suggestion.