General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'98 4.0 P38 Fuel Fill Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 09:01 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '98 4.0 P38 Fuel Fill Issue

So, I recently had the fuel pump replaced on my '98 4.0 at considerable cost I might add. I also think I found the last new pump in North America. Nevertheless, while the truck was in for the repair the tank was dropped on a few occasions. Once I finally got it back on the road it seems that the fuel filler hose is either blocked, crimped or the breather hose is blocked, because I can't put more than 2/10ths of a gallon of fuel in before it pressurizes and blows back. My tech says that the hose needs to be replaced due to its age and the agitiation created from dropping the tank. He claims that there are internal components to the hose that weaken with age and the only cure is hose replacement. Of course, the hose, like the fuel pump, isn't available any longer.

I'm not convinced that the fuel fill hose assembly needs to be replaced. I wonder if there's a simple fix. Anyone familiar with this system who has an opinion? Thanks.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not had any maintenance to the fuel tank, or any related components for that matter. However, I have a similar problem when I fill my tank up at certain gas stations. I am not sure if it is the shape of the nozzle on their pump or what, but I have found that at some gas stations that I can not fill up at all, others I have to hold the handle and VERY slowly pump gas, and others it fills up without a problem. So the only advice I can give you from firsthand knowledge is try a few different gas stations and see if it's due to a variation in their pump nozzle before you start spending money.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:41 AM
4wd Low

It has nothing to do with the various pump nozzles. There is a blockage of some sort that is not allowing the filler hose to vent properly causing backflow.

Has anyone experienced this issue?

Old 02-01-2012, 01:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have heard of this happening, I just don't quite remember what the exact solution is. It happens to me every now and then, I usually just pull the nozzle out a little bit, rather than having it jammed all the way in, and it is able to fill up all the way. The hose is pretty large, it would take something pretty big to block it. You can see if the hose was crimped by looking under the car. The hose is visible if I remember correctly. You are right about not being able to find an OEM hose, this is mainly due to the fact that they can custom fit a generic hose much cheaper than buying it as a "land rover" part.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:16 AM
4wd Low

I don't think a generic hose will do the trick. It's my understanding that the vent hose is contained within, so it's a little more involved.

For me, no measure of backing the nozzle out or slow filling works. Can hear it bubbling in the hose when I'm filling. Kind of like how a water cooler jug sounds when you're filling your glass.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:21 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

They probably didnt install it correctly. its not easy to get it in just right. Seriously, have the guy take it back off to inspect it. Plus its possible they didnt plug in the little air vent hose. Tell him either he takes it off and repairs it or you will have him charged by the dealer for his screw up.

BTW the older dealers have the cradle for those tanks. Years ago an enterprising LR technician built a cradle to do the job. He sold them to LR and to the dealers.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:20 AM
4wd Low

Thanks for the reply. Does checking the connection require pulling the tank down or can you get to it by simply taking the wheel well off?

The tech claims that the vent pipe, which is contained within the hose, gets brittle with age and that it broke in the process of removing and installing the tank a few times when trying to get the fuel pump repaired. Beware if you have a '98 4.0 because the fuel pump is also unobtanium.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:24 AM
4wd Low

I don't know if this will help you or not. The dealer told me I needed a new fuel pump for my 2000 Range Rover HSE 4.6, and stated when he looked it up on the market whatever you call it, that it wasn't available any longer and no one carries it. I just found a company called RL Parts that has a website with a list of parts that they carried and found a fuel pump on there for way below the price the dealer stated that it would've cost me, and then I just got off the phone to verify that the company has it. The sight is www.roverlandparts.com, so maybe try taking a look and see if they might have that hose for you.

Joker

Old 02-12-2012, 12:46 PM
6th Gear

If one finds a new fuel pump for 1998 Range Rover, is that something that should be purchased and have sitting around until necessary? Or do they not break that often?

Thanks

Old 02-13-2012, 05:00 AM
4wd Low

If your '98 is still on the original pump, then buying one and holding it is a no-brainier. The part is simply not made anymore and my understanding is that the tooling has been destroyed. I've tried suggestions found on the net for motor replacement only, using AC Delco motors, etc., but couldn't find the right one for my pump.

If yours has been replaced it might still not be a bad idea depending on how long you plan on keeping the truck. They don't go often and should last well over 100k, but you never know.