General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any advise on how to reset the suspention?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by handsome rob
Maybe it is the Ferrari red that makes you want to drive faster.
Oh I know it is It makes it feel fast even though its a turd...

Old 02-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Drifting

Ill check out that chip. I have to get the best mpg I can so I can convince my wife to let me take it on trips Thanks for the tip. Man I can hardly wait to drive my Rover! Still havnt experienced it with suspention. Bags should be here tomorrow. Its like Christmas eve!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:20 PM
Drifting

Ok guys I have officially joined the ranks of "dumb-***". I was so excited to be able to drive the RR today finally that I got a little over zealous and pushed the envelope on what my 3000 lb el-cheapo jack stands from Pepboys could handle. I tried jacking up the front of the RR (for the second time) to install a new sensor and she rolled of the jack stands and landed on the concrete of my garage with out the rear tires! It took me all of 10 minutes to get it back up on blocks and just then the Air bags arrived. So I excitedly installed them in about 10 minutes and after taking nearly two hrs to fix the Brake shieles that got mashed I put the tires on and the suspention works great! However now when I put it in gear it has a code "transfer Neutral" I get nothing in drive or reverse and when I put it in park I get a loud clicking grinding noise. I have been looking in my manual but was wondering if you had any Ideas on how to trouble shoot it or what it could be. I thought maybe I somehow hurt the tranfer case but there are no marks or outward signs of damage. Thanks. JB

Old 02-17-2011, 11:20 PM
Drifting
Default "transfer neutral" problem on '96 range rover 4.6 hse

Hi guys, I hope I didn’t offend anyone with the "Dumb" comment. I really appreciate being able to bounce stuff off of you all. I did a search online and found this conversation. In the spirit of sharing, as I think this is probably a pretty easy one to do, I am posting the whole conversation. You see before I dropped my poor RR on the floor of my garage and while I was waiting for parts I started cleaning a little and checking under seats etc. I found some pretty interesting stuff including a McDonalds French fry (only theirs can still look edible after so long) a Nextel phone a Barbie shoe (high heel) and some other odds and ends including a whole roll of stamps left over from the last owner. Eventually I got around to the passengers side and in scouring under the seat noticed that there was a fuse missing in the passenger’s side fuse panel. Well feeling the need to fill all fuse positions with fuses I went to my tool box pulled out a fuse and stuck it in there. I was hoping that it would reincarnate my radio but to no avail. So thinking nothing of it I continued on until the drama of today unfolded and I had long forgotten the dutiful placing of the fuse!! Well it turns out that fuse spot is the one that gets left unfilled on purpose. It’s the one that the factory uses to turn off the Transfer case and make it easier for them to move the vehicle. Oh apparently it’s also for towing. So anyway I pulled the fuse and no more transfer case error message. I will sleep better tonight knowing I will not have to explain to the guy in the transmission shop how my RR ended up on the floor of my garage without any rear tires... I’m not quite sure yet but I think it’s pretty cool when your car is smarter than you... enjoy.

"TRANSFER NEUTRAL" PROBLEM ON '96 RANGE ROVER 4.6 HSE
RoverLover
03-02-2006, 06:06 PM
YESTERDAY MORNING, AFTER TAKING MY KID TO SCHOOL, RANGE WAS OK, WHEN I PARKED, I NOTICED THAT THE PASSENGERS SEAT COULD NOT MOVE AT ALL, I CHECKED THE FUSES AND WERE OK, I THEN CHECKED THE SMALL LITTLE ENGINE IN THE BACK OF THE SEAT AND IT WAS REALLY HOT. I PROCEEDED TO CHECK IT OUT TRYING TO FIX IT I ENDED UP TAKING IT OFF IN ORDER TO REPLACE MINUTES LATER WHEN ABOUT TO TAKE OFF, I TURNED THE ENGINE ON THEN A TRANSFER NEUTRAL MESSAGE STARTED APPEARING IN THE MESSAGE BOARD AND THE RANGE WOULD JUST NOT MOVE AT ALL,,,,,I MEAN, WITH THE ENGINE ON
I'M ABLE TO SWITCH THE LEVER TO R, D AND N MODES, BUT VEHICLE IT DOESNT MOVE AT ALL,,NO REVERSE AND NO FORWARD ¦WHEN I PUSH LEVER BACK TO
PARKING, A WEIRD CRACKING SOUND (LIKE IF THE TRANSMISSION DOESNt ENGAGE) CAN BE HEARD FROM UNDERNEATH THE VEHICLE..WHEN MOVING THE SEAT AND CHECKING THE FUSES, I MADE SURE EVERYTHING WAS WELL CONNECTED AND FUSES WORKING. HELP!!
Picnicbrunch
03-21-2006, 08:58 PM
I had a similar problem sometime ago. To cut a long story short, I thought I would be clever and check all the fuses on the side of the drivers seat. I then went to move the car, and “gearbox fault†was displayed along with gears that would not engage. After a lot of messing around, I discovered that there is a fuse on the bottom right hand side that should be left vacant; it can be identified by looking at the fuse guide and seeing if there is a fuse in a space that should be empty. I only put a fuse there as it had clips to house a fuse.

Apparently, this fuse is for factory delivery and is inserted to enable some testbook tests to be run.

Hope this helped

Regards

PB

esaycho
03-21-2006, 11:01 PM
that space is the Transfer Neutral space, if you have a 5 amp or larger fuse in that, the next time you turn the car on the Transfer Case disconnects the wheels from the transmission, take that fuse out, turn the car on and it should switch back into High mode, hope it works.
CronicJoeBlunt
05-17-2006, 08:06 AM
yes that is it I am sure. It is intended for when you need to tow the vehicle.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow great find. I am glad it was nothing really serious. These trucks weigh a lot so be careful when jacking it up. A 3 ton jack should be just fine as long as you chock the wheels and use some jack stands.

Your radio could just be a burnt out display, you will also need a code before it will do anything else though.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:24 AM
Rock Crawling

I am sure that is probably why if rolled off the stands too. If the transfer case is disconnected the putting the truck in Park doesn't really do anything the front wheels were still able to move freely. You are just VERY lucky you weren't under there. You would not be talking to us now. I'm sure you learned a good lesson and wont do that again. I've give you a tip my dad taught me. Every time you take a wheel off slide it under the car. It will protect your truck from hitting the ground if the jack or stands fail and it could also save your life.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Drifting

Thats a great tip I will remember that from now on. Do you know how to reset the code for the radio. I got a replacement but cant get them to talk to each other. I just figured that I had a bad one (which mat be the case) and was going to take it back. I didnt even think that there might be a code for it. thanks guys, Have a great night.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Rock Crawling

If the code didn't come with it you will have to call the dealer. The code is different on every radio.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the radio is not from your VIN you will need to get some info off the back of the radio when you call otherwise they cannot look it up. Without the code it will not work and if you type in the wrong one I think it has to wait for a few hours before you can do it again. Maybe it gives a couple of times but I do not remember.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Rock Crawling

I think it gives you five tries. I always write my code on the glove box door.

Quick Reply: Any advise on how to reset the suspention?