General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any advise on how to reset the suspention?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just out of curoisity, what else would you guys expect or want to replace if you were already in there? I am figuring the torque converter and rear seal. Is there anything else you would suggest? Thanks.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You wont need to replace the torque converter unless it is broken which I highly doubt it. The input shaft seal is good to have and possibly do since if you pull the converter out too much you can damage it by putting it back in. Plan for a day to do this since once you get the transmission out you have some serious bolts holding the flex plate on. Make sure you have a breaker bar and some lock tight for when you put it all back together. You will need to drop part of the exhaust system, remove rear and front drive shafts, Transfer case and so forth to get at everything.

I will get the flex plate out to you as soon as I can. I will let you know what the shipping comes too when I send it and then you can just send me a check or do paypal if you want.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:43 AM
Drifting

Great, Thanks again! I'll start shopping for the seal and specs for the reinstallation. Ill let you know how it goes. I ordered the heat sensor for the air pump and have been looking for the ABS Pressure sensor which is what I think is wrong with the braking system but that is proving to be quite a challenge. I have found a complete used unit through emmotts of colne on ebay for 140.00 and i thought I would take out the switch and replace it. then if that wasnt the problem I could just replace the whole unit. I talked with him today and he really seems like a genuine fellow. Anyway its a stratagy I hope it works Have a great night.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Drifting

Do you fellows know the best guide for a full teardown. Looks like I have to do a head gasket as well, it just started today as I was driving home. Noticed the puddle and took it in to make sure and the mechanic confirmed independently. Oh well. I cant afford to have it done after spending 3k on the rover and almost 5k in repairs to my GMC so im going to do it in the basement along with the flex plate. But I need a good guide service manual to make sure I dont mess anything up in the process. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I think the RAVE manual will do you just fine, the biggest part is getting the right torque specs and make sure you get new head studs.

Sorry to hear about all your problems with this truck. So was it overheating and then saw a puddle under it or what. As a side note I drove mine yesterday and it started to overheat right when I got home. I pulled into the garage and saw steam coming out. The upper radiator hose blew off and pretty much emptied all my coolant.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:26 PM
Drifting

Thanks Ill look one up and get my torque wrench ready. The thing is it has been running great! I always keep my eyes on the gauges and it has been solid. I took it in to a new shop that I found through word of mouth to get a second opinion. I noticed for the first time the other day when I put it in the garage that there was a puddle but it looked clear and I figured it was condensation from the ac or water as it had been raining when I put it away. It was the guy at the new shop that found it almost immediately. He poked his head under the rover to listen more closely to the noises and saw it on the ground. He pointed out that even though it looks almost clear it was actually green and upon closer inspection I saw it too. He seems like a really good guy just a small shop and specializes in rovers. Kinds of a god send really and close to my house. He said for 2k he would do the gaskets seals and the flex plate plus odds and ends. I may take his offer. Just have to put together some more scratch as I don’t want to go into debt for this one.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I think $2000 is quite a bit for that work. If you do not need this car right away and have other vehicles then I think with the amount you have already out into it you can do this yourself for a few hundred and not a couple grand. I think the gasket kit and head studs are about $200 from AB and with a couple of days you could save some serious money.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Drifting

Yeah I think that’s what I’m going to do. It is getting a bit overwhelming but I’m still really excited about the vehicle and getting it up to snuff. I was a bit miffed about it for a day, it’s a lot of bad news for one day, but I’m back up to speed today. I just received the new heat sensor for the air ride system so I think I’ll attack that first. I also have a whole box of parts coming from England and it will be fun to finish out the interior. I’m getting the garage set up so I can lay out the parts on a clean organized bench. I will probably have to send out the heads don't you think? It had a tick in there anyway so I will hopefully be able to get that done too. Well have a great day and I’ll keep you posted.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Drifting

Well, Finally ready to move ahead with the repairs, I have almost all the parts I need to put the Rover together. I just wanted to follow up with you about the flex plate and see if you have had time to send it off. Thanks again for hooking me up and for all the advice. I was able to put some extra scratch together to purchase the other parts and just need to purchase the Head gasket kit with bolts and im ready. Thanks again.
Josiah.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I was able to get it off today and I will send it on Monday. Sorry I have been more busy than I thought. I will send the tracking number once I send it. How did the other repairs go if you have started them?

Quick Reply: Any advise on how to reset the suspention?