General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Year @ 35K or less?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 08:30 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Year @ 35K or less?

Hello folks,

I'm new here and trying to get some feed back and educate myself more on Range Rovers. I had my mind set on an LR3/4 because of their off road capabilities. I was always under the impression that Range Rovers were for Rap artists and wealthy suburban soccer moms. After further research I realized I was dead wrong.

My g/f and I test drove a LR3&4, considering we live in the city she wasn't impressed. She even took it over a curb like a brat because she was so frustrated that she couldn't take it off-road or get any sense of it's off-road capabilities I raved about. The salesman at the Rover dealership was indescribably incompetant and spoke on the history of Land Rover opposed to features and things that mattered to us. An unpleasant experience to say the least!!!

Realizing that it was just a bad showing I started to persuade her towards the Range Rover as well as taking a test drive this weekend. We plan on using the vehicle for the winter hikes up to the mountain as well as light trail use through the hill in WV. We also have a doberman and minpin we would like to haul in the back with a divider. I understand most people don't use these vehicles to their capabilities but like most, I like to know "I can" if I want to.

Now to my actual questions, I want to know what you guys think is the most reliable/best bang for my buck/year for $35K and under? We plan on trading in her Mazda 3 because I have a car and we want an SUV. I'm not interested in the supercharged version, I hear it can just lead to more problems and I feel 300+hp is sufficient enough.

From what I have found the 2008 (MarkIII, correct me if I am wrong) falls into that price range with a little over 50K miles on it. Is the 2008 a reputable year for the range rover or should I wait until a newer model falls into that price range? I have a 760Li so I'm no stranger to ridiculous repair bills but that doesn't mean I want to have two vehicles that have to go to the shop every six months! I have heard trouble free stories and horror stories so I guess I'm just trying to hedge my bets and get opinions on best options in that price range. Also, will these engines last 100K+ miles or do they have a sweet spot where you need to consider trading them in? I would like something that will last a while if properly maintained.

I appreciate you guys taking a look and any opinions!

Nick

Last edited by TannerSV; 09-25-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:55 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

09 had all the stuff fixed on it. being the last year it wasn't a bad buy. They still had the ability to have ipod integrity even it it was rudementary. But most of the issues had been fixed. Not many sold as 08 but still not a bad buy. 2010 was first year so it had issues. Always look at the last year of a model regardless of manufacturer. They save the best for last.