Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   General Range Rover Discussion - Archived (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-range-rover-discussion-archived-19/)
-   -   Considering buying a third generation RR which engine is the most reliable? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-range-rover-discussion-archived-19/considering-buying-third-generation-rr-engine-most-reliable-80456/)

deepessions 08-07-2016 11:35 AM

Considering buying a third generation RR which engine is the most reliable?

Any help would be appreciated!

I've always loved these cars and after getting out of my LR Disco a few years ago prices have come down quite a bit. What kind of problems am I looking at in maintaining a 2006-2009 RR? From what I've researched the sport models seem a bit more reliable.

This vehicle will be driven mainly on the weekends with the occasional boat tow. Towing isn't a big requisite since I have a 4 runner also I can use.

What major tuneups around 100k do I need to look for?

Are service records a must?

ArmyRover 08-07-2016 04:18 PM

Jag motor is the one you want

deepessions 08-07-2016 06:00 PM

The Jag's look like they were introduced in '06. Did they do the sport models as well or just the 4.4?

TheInfamousDrew 08-18-2016 03:29 AM

I'm curious as well.

jhmover 08-18-2016 12:01 PM

The Jag. I've had a couple of mechanics I know tell me the BMW engines blow head-gaskets. In fact, some guy's trying to dump one on Craigslist now with that problem.

redrover75 08-18-2016 02:40 PM

m62tu

I have had the BMW motors for many years, 500k miles.

The M62TU, as opposed to the M62, which is 2001+ V8, i believe the year is correct, has a variable timing mechanism.

At about 150k miles the timing chain guides can go. There is a telling rattle when they start to go, generally you have enough notice to park it or get it fixed before it is a real problem. They are plastic and the heat and age simply causes them to fail. It is not a huge problem, a few hundred in parts if you do it yourself. Or, about $3k to do everything done at a shop.
There are guys that can do it in half a day, then you have a pretty awesome engine for another 150k.

It is really just maintenance, like head gaskets on a Discovery. If that scares you buy the jag engine. Otherwise, the BMW engine is much better.

check out bmw e38 forums, bimmerforum.com/e38 is probably the best.

cmb6s 08-25-2016 12:30 PM

I don't think I've known the M62 engines to blow head gaskets, but they ARE a cooling system nightmare in my opinion (perhaps a heater hose failure caused overheating, which resulted in a blown head gasket?). It's a far more complicated cooling system and a far more complicated PCV system than it needs to be. That being said, the engine and transmission work great together. Always seems to be plenty of power and always in a good power band. Also very smooth.

Yes, the timing chain guides will eventually need to be replaced, but it's a lot more than a few hundred dollars because if you dig that far into the engine, there are million other things you're going to want to replace along the way. Probably more like $800 or so in parts and the labor is quite an undertaking. I'm not looking forward to doing it at all, but know that I will probably have to since we're over 120k on the clock now. :(

LR Techniker 10-05-2016 07:27 PM

Full size Rover (L322) got the Jag motor in 2006. If you don't mind an LR3 or Sport model, they started life in '05 w/ the Jag motor.

I do not like the M62 motor for almost the same reasons I don't like the 2010+ 5.0 V8. We are in the process right now of replacing chains on a 2011 RRS where the chains slapped so long, the bolts for the chain rail broke off and went out through the timing cover, beat up the block too.
I've been a big fan of the Jag motor for some time now. In my opinion, definitely the way to go.