General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electricity good, but wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 03:19 PM
MCF
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electricity good, but wont start!

Evening all.

I bought my first Land Rover yesterday. It's a 4.6 HSE petrol auto.

Drove it home and it was a joy .Woke up this morning and again went for a drive with no probs (other than those the seller told me about and I'll ask your opinion on those later)

This evening have gone to pop out, open the car with the remote, no probs, alarm doesn't sound and alarm LED goes off. Key in the ignition and everything comes on, (radio, all lights that are supposed to) but nothing else - no cranking, no atempted turn over no nothing....

Anyone got any ideas on things to check?

Hope i haven't bought a pup!

Old 07-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your fuses. Find the starter motor fuse and jump the relay to test the functionality of the starter motor so you can rule it out. Also what year is the vehicle?

Old 07-23-2009, 03:03 AM
MCF
2nd Gear

Morning LRScott

The RR is a 1997 and was registered in August.

Checked the fuses (in the engine bay and under the driver seat and all seem good - both areas dry and look to be free of any corrossion)

When the key is turned to postion II there is a whiring (??) noise from around the engine bay fuse area if that means anything?

I'll have a go at jumping the relay and try the starter motor...

Thanks for the advice...

Old 07-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Pro Wrench

The noise you are referring to is an electric fan, I think. Mine does the same thing. Is it faint or loud, mine is very soft and almost unnoticeable.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Rock Crawling

A whirling noise in position two is usually the sound of the starter motor turning without the gear plunging into the flywheel. This usually means you need a new starter, or it could mean that some of the teeth are broken off of the flywheel gear. Hope it is the starter. Hope that helps you.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Pro Wrench

A whirling noise in position two is usually the sound of the starter motor turning without the gear plunging into the flywheel. This usually means you need a new starter, or it could mean that some of the teeth are broken off of the flywheel gear. Hope it is the starter. Hope that helps you.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the III position engage the starter?

MCF I forgot to rule out the possibility of the noise being the ABS pump. Does the noise eventually go away?

Last edited by LRScott; 07-23-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:01 AM
Rock Crawling

Yes, you are correct LRScott. I had to break out the rave manual for that one. Position '0' is off. Position 1 unlocks the steering, position 2 turns on the accesories, and position three turns off the accesories and engages the starter.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

disconnect the battery, remove the positive lead to the starter motor, clean it up with a wire brush a little and put it back on with a star washer(get one at any parts or hardware store, looks like it has lots of little teeth on it)... very common. bosch starters almost never go bad, however replacing it would also fix the problem since youd be changing the connection

Old 07-25-2009, 02:21 AM
Pro Wrench

Sometimes my rover likes to act like everything is fine and not start. 100% of the time it is because of a dead battery. I usually only drive my rover on the weekends, so it sits for a week in the garage and drains it's battery, out of bore drum I suspect LOL! I need to figure out the cause of the dead batteries but, haven't gotten around to it.

I forgot to ask MCF, but what is the year on your rover?

Old 07-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by wilson96rr
Starter is not activated in the second position, not sure where you got that information.

Quick Reply: Electricity good, but wont start!