General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help needed! What should I check before buying an old Range Rover

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 12:14 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help needed! What should I check before buying an old Range Rover

hi, I'm planning to buy an old Range Rover, year 96 4.6HSE. Since the car has been 12 years old, anyone can help me what should I inspect before buying this car. Is there any common problems that occurs for this particular year? The car is cheap but I don't want to spend to much to do the repair. I heard that the air suspension is very costly if it's need to be repaired? What is the symptoms to tell that it is broken? Thanks so much for the help.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: help needed! What should I check before buying an old Range Rover

38's were plagued with issues of all kinds, I would seriously suggest you picked a different model.
If you want more specific information, PM me you tele number and I'll be glad to call you.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: help needed! What should I check before buying an old Range Rover

When I saw your subject line and question "what should I look for?", my first thought for a response was "another car at anothe dealer."

Listen to Disco Mike on this and call him...currently have, and had had many Rovers - and one still in the stable is a 96 P38 4.6. Owned it
since new and would be happy to sell it to you for what I have in the car, approx $125k I suspect....seriously, it's worth NOTHING, maybe
$4-5k on a good day, and that's with pretty much new everything. Mike can explain the BECM issues, suspension, etc - all items we've
replaced, some more than once.

Call him for advice, and if you really want a Rover, get a different model / year or find something else. Especially if your intention in purchasing
is to make it a daily driver..

Mike