General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID headlights on a p38

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID headlights on a p38

Hello everyone,
I am wanting to upgrade the headlights on my 1996 RR to HID. Before spending the money and doing the work I was hoping to hear from those who have already done the upgrade. I would like the outcome to look stock in appearance. I am most concerned about getting a lot of light on the road and not blinding other drivers. I would also like to avoid the Honda racer look. I have done some research on the subject and have found that e-code headlights with a sharp cut-off point are best. Does my Range Rover have e-codes? Is there any way to tell? Any brands of bulbs/ballasts that are recomended? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Wilson

Old 11-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with HIDs on the P38 is it wasn't designed for them.There are also legitimate concerns with fitting HID lights on cars that weren't originally fitted with them as the light pattern of HIDs tends to be significantly different and the lighting housing doesn't project the light correctly (often what causes HIDs to "blind" other drivers). Just something to think about before fitting new lights.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Rock Crawling

Ok, so whats the best bulb out there. I have the Silverstars in it now. They're ok but nothing too special especially in the rain. I have seen that they make higher wattage, 80 watt or so bulbs. Has anyone tried those?

Old 11-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Rock Crawling

I have a different opinion about the blinding issue.

Ever seen an old Volvo brick, with the 8x10 headlight lenses?

To get a certain number of lumens out the front of the headlamp, the smaller you make that front, the higher the *spot* brightness is going to be, and since it's *contrast* between the lens and surroundings that affects people not directly in the beam, the larger the lens the better.

In my recent shopping, I explicitly ruled out 03 and 04's because I didn't want those headlights.

I tend to think they look goofy too, but that was not my primary reason. :-)

Old 11-25-2009, 04:58 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 11-25-2009, 06:47 AM
Rock Crawling

Yes, I have read Daniel Stern's web page. He makes a lot of good points. Unfortunately, his solution is higher wattage bulbs wired in with relays. Simple enough except that I have a p38 Range Rover. If I put 80 watt headlight bulbs in without using relays I don't know if that would cause damage to the BECM. If I wire in relays, I'm sure I will get a headlight out message on the message center which would drive me nuts. I am leaning toward a 50 watt HID system (most are 35 watt) because I believe this will "fool" the BECM because the load on the headlight circuit will be about the same. I tend to agree with Jay regarding the blinding issue and the bigger lights. The vehicles I do see with the blinding lights are mostly Asian small vehicles with tiny headlights. My question is, has anyone actually done anything to upgrade their lights? Bigger bulbs or HIDs, I would really like to hear about the results.
Thank you,
Wilson

Old 11-25-2009, 08:21 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i just use the sylvania ultra stars they were $25 on ebay and do me well. next i'm going to try the Philips which as suppose to be really good. if i want more light ill use the fogs or spots. why do you need so much light out of the headlight is my question? if you want to do it right then fab some newer HID RR lights on there instead of trying to stick HID bulbs in a halogen lens.