General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Incorrect Gear Ratio #4??????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Incorrect Gear Ratio #4??????????

Hi all,

Well my service engine soon light came on a couple days ago, and after seeing that it did not turn off I went to auto zone to have the code read. Now I could not copy down the code number fast enough but it said incorrect gear ratio # 4. I assume that is the transmission. Car is running fine and seems to shift smooth and fine. 02 P38 with 60,300 miles. Had the ATF fluid and filter changed about 7 months ago. Any thoughts and suggestions???

Old 04-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If everything is running smooth. It could have been a little quirk. If it were me I would clear the code and see if it comes back again. A few months ago mine gave me some transfer case code. I cleared it and it hasn't been back since.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Rock Crawling

The only way to change your gear ratio is to actually replace parts. Your can't all of a sudden develop an incorrect gear ratio without you swapping out gears. It is likely a sensor that got a little funky.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Incorrect Ratio" usually means a clutch in the transmission slipped. Often caused by the fluid getting low. Clear the code and drive it, if it comes back check the speed sensors carefully.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Mass airflow meter... Its a cross calculation between airflow/engine rpm/road speed, while the torque converter is locked up.
If the computer detects a discrepancy it flags "4th gear ratio incorrect"
Just replace the mass airflow meter...

Old 04-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Mudding

Wanted to come back to this and thank all of you. Been nuts at work and have not been online much. Due to work I did not get a chance to clear the code. But after about a week of driving the car with no known issues the light went out on its own. Went out to pick up some ice cream light was on the whole way their, and went out as soon as I started the car to head home. Maybe I need to go for ice cream more often! Light has not reappeared in the last week. THANK YOU again!

Old 04-21-2011, 12:46 AM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
Mass airflow meter... Its a cross calculation between airflow/engine rpm/road speed, while the torque converter is locked up.
If the computer detects a discrepancy it flags "4th gear ratio incorrect"
Just replace the mass airflow meter...
x2

If it comes back, just change your MAF. Had the same error on my Disco and it freaked me out at first.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

In the future, don't wait on checking a code, or it could cost you big time. Also, you get them read, you don't just clear them and expect the problem to go away, get all the fault code numbers, write them down and send them to us so we can help you.
Yes, if you had a 734 code along with other lean or rich codes, you may need a new MAF, and if so only buy a new Bosch with matching part numbers, not an after market or generic, that usually won't work.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:46 PM
Mudding

Better yet, investing in a decent OBD code reader can be a nice useful addition to your toolbox. I have an Actron 9575 and it's come in pretty handy. Around $110....

Old 04-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Overlanding

speaking of codes, my check engine came on my 95'RR. Im thinking about taking it to autozone. is there any other places where i can go get it check at? Also what is the price to get it check..gas price is killing me right now here in washington..

Quick Reply: Incorrect Gear Ratio #4??????????