Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   General Range Rover Discussion - Archived (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-range-rover-discussion-archived-19/)
-   -   oops, bought a 2nd P38 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-range-rover-discussion-archived-19/oops-bought-2nd-p38-37867/)

PKG Vitesse 01-31-2011 10:52 PM

oops, bought a 2nd P38

2 Attachment(s)
yup, bought another one today. one just wasn't enough...my buddy has pretty much made the '97 vitesse as his daily driver since he doesn't want to drive his other car in the winter. and i loved it so much i decided we just needed to have two so we can both go off road.

picked up this '97 SE today for 2k. needs a fuel pump but overall in better shape than the vitesse inside and out. dark green on tan leather, and flawless aside from its missing fog lights.

bad pictures, but hopefully more tomorrow after its rescued and brought home by its new brother.

Attachment 45992
Attachment 45993

LRScott 02-01-2011 12:26 AM

not bad at all. What miles are on it?

handsome rob 02-01-2011 12:40 AM

I would buy another too if my wife would not kill me. I am not sure when I would ever drive it though since I have four cars already and the 2 boats are not helping my cause either.

Nice purchase.

PKG Vitesse 02-01-2011 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by LRScott (Post 223565)
not bad at all. What miles are on it?

only 125k, not bad. and the problematic air ride has also been eliminated and its on coils.

Originally Posted by handsome rob (Post 223571)
I would buy another too if my wife would not kill me. I am not sure when I would ever drive it though since I have four cars already and the 2 boats are not helping my cause either.

Nice purchase.

well this will make my 4th car. which is fine, its not going to experience heavy usage and if something goes wrong its not the end of the world. i don't have a significant other to answer to so i might as well enjoy it while it lasts :)

LRScott 02-01-2011 03:15 PM

For a moment I thought, why on earth would you have 4 cars? Then I remembered... I have 3 lol. There are also 4 others that are not mine... So you can imagine the parking mess at our house. And it just hit me too, we have 2 of a kind on each car, except for the rover. Time to get it a friend!

PKG Vitesse 02-02-2011 12:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
worst snow storm of the season wasn't enough to stop the vitesse from bringing one of its own back home

Attachment 45990

Greggles 02-02-2011 10:07 PM

congrats on the new additon - I guess you didn't have enough headaches : )

PKG Vitesse 02-02-2011 11:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Greggles (Post 224148)
congrats on the new additon - I guess you didn't have enough headaches : )

of course not!! hopefully this one just needs the fuel pump to get going and i'll be happy. its not going to be a primary vehicle so it can sit if needed. right now my main focus this year is my BMW project, but hopefully this can become a good workhorse to move **** around :)

more pix!

Attachment 45970
Attachment 45971
Attachment 45972

the interior is very nice...sagging headliner of course, but otherwise super clean. and the paint is beautiful, very few chips and no scratches or dents that i've seen so far, and it has a very nice shine on it. can't wait to clean it up and give it a good detail once i get it mobile again.

hopefully soon, because i NEVER want to PUSH another range rover again...its damn near impossible!

Chris X 02-03-2011 08:00 AM

Congrats on the purchase!

I consider 4 cars the absolute minimum to have in the fleet. Going to go look at a D90 soon to bump it up to 5 street legal vehicles. Got a couple that are, uh, "resting" as well.

PKG Vitesse 02-05-2011 12:07 AM

so....figured out what the problem was on my new rover.

wasn't the fuel pump...

....it was out of gas!! HAHAHAHA

krazzz 02-05-2011 12:15 AM

Gotta love those problems. Are you sure they just didn't drain the tank to work on it?

PKG Vitesse 02-05-2011 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by krazzz (Post 224659)
Gotta love those problems. Are you sure they just didn't drain the tank to work on it?

pretty sure doesn't look like its been touched.

all was going well on the test drive, then the heater core had a spectacular failure. bypassed the heater core at the gas station. worked great for a mile till the T connection broke from it being so brittle. i'll fix it later this weekend.

aside from that, everything else seems to be working well on it, aside from the speedometer which is dead.

PKG Vitesse 02-05-2011 09:25 PM

so i bypassed the heater core today with a better setup since my original T connection broke from being so brittle. so i got it all sorted out and started it up to get it up to operating temperature to refill the system for coolant, and even after running for almost 20 mins its still blowing bubbles out of the coolant tank, it doesn't seem like the thermostat is opening.

is there a special trick to bleed the air out of the coolant system aside from the tank itself?

handsome rob 02-05-2011 11:22 PM

You might be pulling in air from somewhere and that is why it is bubbling. I have never had an issue with any air in my system before. You should replace all your hoses and thermostats like always when you buy a used vehicle, it may solve your issues.

LRScott 02-06-2011 01:38 AM

Parking on an incline will help the bleeding process. I blew into the reservoir, don't know if it helped for sure, but I think it did. Of course that does not mean anything :). The best thing to do is get the system full and let it sit overnight after running the vehicle for a couple of minutes. Watch your temps like a hawk!

RROJ 02-11-2011 02:28 PM

Congrats on your find! Once you get the minor things out of the way you will have a fine addition to your fleet!

PKG Vitesse 02-11-2011 07:42 PM

adding a new rear driveshaft to the parts list.

its not because its broken, its because i just discovered that its not friggen there at all.

crossing my fingers that the transfer case isn't ****.

PKG Vitesse 02-11-2011 11:02 PM

no start issue fixed, fuel filter was almost completely clogged.

starts on the first turn now. new plugs tomorrow, thermostat and fixing vacuum leaks.

PKG Vitesse 02-13-2011 04:55 PM

6 Attachment(s)
new photos!

being out in the sun i can see the wax job it had was ****, need to give it a good compound and buff, but other than that, looks great in the daylight!!

Attachment 45897
Attachment 45898
Attachment 45899
Attachment 45900
Attachment 45901
Attachment 45902

PKG Vitesse 02-14-2011 08:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this wasn't suppose to be there...

Attachment 45893

that is NOT the correct place OR the right thermostat. *sigh*

this guy was a ****in idiot that should have NEVER have been allowed to touch a vehicle. the thermostat on these is in a canister on the lower radiator hose. so essentially what he's done here is create a block in the system preventing coolant from circulating at all. took that damn thing out and replaced the CORRECT unit and got the system flowing again.

but now, its still having a massive over heating issue. looking like the head is shot. IF he had the head gasket done like he said he did, it would not surpass me if they used gasket maker to "create" a new one. we're going to end up tearing this thing down to get it healthy again, its just not happy at all and someone really ****ed it up that should have never touched it in the first place.

so for now until i have some room to get it into my shop (currently remodeling) its going to have to be put on the back burner for now most likely. i'm still not upset with my purchase however...sometimes this is how you get things cheap.

handsome rob 02-14-2011 11:04 PM

Man someone did not know what they were doing on that Rover.

On the overheating issue, is it doing it right away or after a while? And is it really overheating or is it a faulty sensor?

I hate to say it but you may find many other things that you need to fix or replace on it.

PKG Vitesse 02-15-2011 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by handsome rob (Post 227125)
Man someone did not know what they were doing on that Rover.

On the overheating issue, is it doing it right away or after a while? And is it really overheating or is it a faulty sensor?

I hate to say it but you may find many other things that you need to fix or replace on it.

its doing it right away. as soon as it gets to operating temperature it continues to climb.

the sensor is reading correctly, and its def. over heating, the coolant is boiling over and the engine eventually starts to misfire then i have to shut it down. last night it barely made it home (just from a 4 block trip down the street and back) and i shut it off in a massive cloud of steam.

in good news however, my new driveshaft is ready for collection :)

LRScott 02-15-2011 07:15 PM

have you checked to see if the top and the bottom hoses of the radiator are significantly hotter/cooler than the other? I'd pull your plugs and drain your oil, look for any signs of coolant. Does your system pressurize? Or does it over pressurize? Don't ever let the temp get past center. You run the risk of liner failure or a cracked block.

handsome rob 02-15-2011 08:55 PM

If it is overheating that fast it should be easier to pin point what the issue is. You should be able to see where coolant is in the oil or the coolant draining out quickly. I am willing to bet there is a blockage and so it is not really circulating coolant or not enough. You may want to start sourcing a used motor or a good replacement.

PKG Vitesse 02-22-2011 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by handsome rob (Post 227357)
If it is overheating that fast it should be easier to pin point what the issue is. You should be able to see where coolant is in the oil or the coolant draining out quickly. I am willing to bet there is a blockage and so it is not really circulating coolant or not enough. You may want to start sourcing a used motor or a good replacement.

already ahead of you on that one. if it comes down to a cracked block or warped head i'm most likely just going to replace the engine entirely.

the system wasn't pressurizing properly due to a bad cap, i replaced that and although it helped out quite a bit something still isn't quite right. i wouldn't be surprised if there is blockage somewhere still, but the other issue makes it obvious that the head gasket is bad. upon re-start after its been running for a few moments its blowing coolant out the tail pipe in a huge cloud of smoke so coolant is getting into the cylinders. i wont know the full story until we tear it down but i'm prepared to just flat out replace the whole engine if we need to.

handsome rob 02-23-2011 06:37 PM

It may end up being cheaper and easier to just find a used engine and swap it; you could probably drive it for 100,000 miles before it goes. I would be worried that once you got into it that there were far more problems and it would cost thousands to get right.