General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 06:16 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just now I ordered a new water pump, but it will take 5 days to get here.

I did investigate the condensor fans today which were not working, and tested each one and both are functional. I'm considering wiring them to run when ever the engine is running.

If the lower radiator hose is cool while the upper is hot after the engine is running for 10 minutes what does that indicate?

Old 04-29-2014, 08:18 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Bishop
Just now I ordered a new water pump, but it will take 5 days to get here.

I did investigate the condensor fans today which were not working, and tested each one and both are functional. I'm considering wiring them to run when ever the engine is running.

If the lower radiator hose is cool while the upper is hot after the engine is running for 10 minutes what does that indicate?

Bishop
Hi
In short NO FLOW!
Consider the radiator internal core section plugged. or
The water pump impellor isn't turning or
By pass section of the thermostat isn't allowing flow back to the block.
Normal rule of thumb is that there should be between 12 to 15 DGF difference between top and bottom tanks.
T/V

Old 04-30-2014, 07:34 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

do not count out a bad new t-stat happens all the time, and people spend all kinds of money replacing parts only to find out the new t-stat is bad.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:01 PM
Mudding

does anyone know if I can swap a condensor fan relay with another ib the fuse box. Several look alike but I dont know.

I would like to swap the relays to see if the condensor fans relay are good.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:29 PM
Mudding

As I sit here waiting for Fedex to deliver the new water pump I decided to show you what I discovered when I removed the old water pump this morning.

The impeller had broken to bits, but all the bit were still in place.

Fedex is late but if it does come tonight I'll repost after the new install.

Attached Thumbnails Overheating-picture-160.jpg  
Old 05-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Bishop
As I sit here waiting for Fedex to deliver the new water pump I decided to show you what I discovered when I removed the old water pump this morning.

The impeller had broken to bits, but all the bit were still in place.

Fedex is late but if it does come tonight I'll repost after the new install.
Well that will do it!
And a bronze impeller! Supposed to be the new and improved from LR about three years ago!

Most of the aftermarket still use a steel impeller fabrication which I have yet to see so south unless something has been ingested into it! Apart that is from the bearings failing and causing the impeller to beat itself to death in the housing.
T/V

Old 05-03-2014, 08:59 PM
Mudding

Fedex gave me a delivery date of today, Saturday, and I waited, at 3:000m I called Fedex "Home delivery" and the lady said my package was out for delivery by 8:00pm. But she said it will arrive today because she looked up the tracking information.

At 7:45pm I call Fedex again, and I was told it will not be delivered until Tuesday, since it was never put on the truck at the hub which is only 15 miles from my home. It arrived at the hub at 3:00am this morning, but some idiot employee or driver decided my water pump could wait in the hub over the weekend, and monday, (They are closed on Monday) and it will be delivered Tuesday.

I pulled the old pump off this morning because I was promised delivery today, now the RR will have to sit 4 more days.

Don't believe anything Fedex says. I just looked up the CEO and he has been the CEO for 41 years and he makes $25,000,000 a year. 25 Million, but they can't deliver a simple box on time.

I'll repost Tuesday if it shows up....

Old 05-04-2014, 08:53 AM
Mudding

Bishop
Welcome to the world of logistics!
(The fancy name for delivering something!)

When it comes to Fed Ex everything comes through Memphis Tn. Its their central hub sort point. If there is a bad weather event the item gets delayed ; the recent mid west storms are an example!
In my business I spend about 4 hours on the phone procuring parts, sending parts and trying to get stuff out 'n fixed in a timely manner.

Much of the reliance on Fed Ex and such has a direct link back to the 2008 recession. Talking to a parts a manager of a Landrover dealership about two years ago, it was the policy to keep in their case $250,000 of parts to support the LR parc in the regional metro area they serve.

Post 2008, the parts holding decision was revised down to $50,000 and only keep "fast movers" for popular models and support ONLY the models in current production. All non availability is then covered by either overnight orders (you the customer pays for that freight tariff) or regular stock orders which can take up to 10 days to arrive.
This policy and parts support is about average these days for US based suppliers. In short the likes of Fed Ex have it sewn up, but I do use USPS quite often and their delivery times can really surprise you.

In fact, recently I had to get a fuel pump to Tegucigalpa for a Vor'd Defender. Yes, I could get one here (US) and send it south through a freight forwarder in Miami. But a UK LR dealer/supplier, and the UK's equivalent of USPS called Parcel Force got it there in three days guaranteed . The best US times I could get was five days and no guarantee of arrival.
Hurry up and wait, its the new normal!
T/V

Old 05-04-2014, 09:58 AM
Mudding

I'm here in south Louisiana, 30 miles from the gulf, and we often send packages to friends in Michigan 30 miles from the Canada border.

We use USPS and the packages arrive on the third day, everytime.

The only problem I've ever had with USPS is with an overnight package. $22 for a envelope twice I've sent house papers that needed overnight, and both took two days to get there and it was only 200 miles away.

The good thing is USPS offers full refund each time, so I got all my money back twice.

I'll repost Tuesday...............

Old 05-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Mudding

This morning I was standing at the gate at Fedex at 6am, two security guards refused me access, demanding I return at 9am to pick up a package, like everybody else.

I was concerned that the driver would leave the hub with my box and make me wait again until 8pm.

I refused to leave and a manager came out of the building and let me past the guards.

I told him about the Saturday promise Fedex first gave me. He ask me to wait while he searched for my package and after 30 minutes he returned with the new water pump.
Some people at Fedex are worth saving, many others will drown when the big flood comes again.

Back home by 7am and the pump installed and running by 9:30am Took a test drive and to wash the two weeks of dust that had settled on the RR. Looks good and runs great.

After 60 minutes of running, the temp gauge never went past a little shot of halfway.

Thanks to everyone that were interested in the overheating problem and those that posted with help.

RR is back on the road with a new thermostst and a new water pump. It's a 1998 HE with only 91K miles.

Now I hope the AC still works in a previous post after all the tinkering I did under the hood.