General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P38 down on power - being passed by bicycles

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 08:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macbeth
Q: Is this slightly low pressure an issue?
Q: Does the pressure increase at higher rpm?

x
That pressure shouldn't cause any significant problems. Its been a while since I tested mine but I remember that it was a bit low. When I was having fuel problems it was only at about 13 psi and it was still running (although very rough.) The fuel pump is electric and not run off the motor so RPMs will not increase the fuel pressure. If anything it will go down because of the increased flow but I wouldn't expect it to change much.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:15 AM
4wd Low

I must admit, I haven't 'dropped' the exhaust system yet to check for a plugged cat, I'll keep it on the list of diagnostics to-dos for this problem.

Back to working my way through the list of possibles and right now, I'm focusing on testing the throttle position sensor (TPS). I don't have a scanner so I set about testing it with a multi meter set on Ohms.

I unplugged the 3 wire socket connector from the TPS and then with her indoors manually operating the butterfly mechanism, I interchanged the probes in different sequences to the 3 pins of the TPS. I couldn't get a reading in any combination but I suspect I may be going about this test incorrectly as I couldn't find anything in the manual which didn't reference using a scanner.

I'm beginning to think I need a Rover specific scan tool for this problem (would this specifically identify a faulty TPS sensor?) However, as I don't have a scan tool and my nearest Rover dealer is 100+miles away, could someone advise me how to test the TPS with a multi meter please?

Appreciate all the help,

RogeR

Old 05-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Three Wheeling

Hope you've solved your problem by now. I'm going out on a limb here and say your problem is because a poor spark. I don't know how to trouble shoot the ignition modules but that's where I'd start.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:46 AM
4wd Low

Unfortunately the ideas and advice have dried up and the problem persists. Thanks to everyone for the help but I'll just have to take it to a dealer.
RogeR

Old 05-07-2013, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

To test TPS, either let a parts store demo their code reader and look at live data, TPS% should be around 9% at idle and increase as pedal depressed. Or can use meter. Measure for DC volts. Put red meter probe on the yellow with light green wire from the TPS, and black probe to the red wire. Expect 0.6 volts at idle, increase smoothly to 4.5 at wide open.

If doing ohms, unplug sensor, read pin 1 (red) to pin 2 (red with black). Should be a fixed value that does not change when pedal depressed. Read from pin 1(red) to pin 3 (yellow and light green). Should be a value that changes smoothly as pedal depressed. Will go from about zero to value read between 1 & 2. You can also read from pin 3 to pin 2, should also move smoothly from one value to another. 1 and 2 are the outside of the potentiometer, 3 is the wiper.

Reading open or infinite or open loop is not desired. If there is no ohms reading of the sensor, then a replacement is needed.

Fom the RAVE:

Failure of the Throttle Position Sensor (X171) will result in poor idle and lack of throttle response.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 05-07-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:07 AM
4wd Low

That's great, just what I needed thank you - I'll try the diagnostic and report back.
RogeR