General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions regarding: 92-95 Range Rover

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:02 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions regarding: 92-95 Range Rover

I wanted to get the take of fellow forum members on the 92-95 Range Rover. I am considering getting one with the intention of using it over the weekends and gradually restoring it piece by piece. The few questions I have are:

· Is it still possible to source parts for these trucks ? (Items like trim pieces , interior carpet, window seals, engine, transmission etc)
· I understand that beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder, but is restoring a old Range Rover a better proposition over acquiring and restoring a older series Rover ?
· I will be researching for things to look for, but what are the most common things I should definitely check prior to pulling the trigger on one.

I have previously owned a Disco II and currently own a LR3 so have some familiarity with Rover, but sincerely welcome any input from fellow members.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

A. Download RAVE tech manuals below, they cover that series.

B. There are parts dismantlers who specialize in Rovers, some are listed below. Like any fine wine, older is rarer, but parts are known quality, they toss out the junk.

C. There are on line sources like Atlantic British, Rovers North, British PAcific, and a host of others. Routine parts like brakes, discs, bearings, etc. are widely stocked. New parts and reman.

D. Some parts, like alternators and radiators, lend themselves to local shop rebuilding.

E. You will find a number of salvage yards have Rovers. But those guys are in the scrap metal biz, many cars don't last more than 8 weeks or so. Large yards will email you if a desired model comes on the yard. Some sites, like Pull a Part, have on-line inventory. Five Rangies in Atlanta, and another 5 spread around the yards they have in the US. There are other such chains. I've been a customer of several, have no fiscal interest in any of them, except to save money. Some yards even sell a short warranty with the parts. Plus it is like going to school on that model, but not having to tear yours up. There are traditional junk yards where the vehicle will stay until the Rover gods summon it back to the earth as in rust to dust.

Sometimes a non-runner will come up at a very low price, like $400 - $500, and you can have it for a parts horse.

F. Like any hobby, this can turn into an obsession. You have been warned. You will plan trips based on what salvage yards are along the way. You will spend more money than you thought, and end up with your own inventory of bought it but don't need it yet parts. She Who Must Be Obeyed will surely decide that you must be napping under that truck (while trying to change the starter).

G. You will find this group a lively bunch, many willing to pontificate whenever the situation arises, the odd obnoxious maximus from time to time, and a few good old fashioned sobs... But while none of us know it all, no one knows more than all of us together. Many have walked the path you seek, and can point out the rocks just below the surface...

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
rangie.pdf (107.1 KB, 130 views)
Old 10-29-2011, 07:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The only one I'd consider is 1995 classic. The nicest one made IMHO.
Some parts are no longer available. Keep your eyes open for a rusted upper
tailgate. That will cost you more than the truck is worth to fix/replace.
...And remember You are not Immune from anything Land Rover related.

Good Luck with Your Quest