General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range Rover Driver's Door Will Not Open from Exterior

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 09:55 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Range Rover Driver's Door Will Not Open from Exterior

Problem is with the driver's door handle on a 1999 Range Rover 4.6HSE.

1) Al doors lock/unlock with key and driver's door opens properly from inside vehicle only.

2) When driver's handle is pulled from exterior, handle pulls out almost all the way as if it would come off in your hand. Whatever connects the interior portion of the handle to the locking mechanism seems to have broken or become disconnected. When I pulled the handle, I heard something fall/break off and fall within the interior portion of the door.

Questions:

1) What is the trick to remove the interior trim. I have removed all the screws I can see including the trim around the tweeter at the top of the door but still cannot get the interior trim off.

2) Rover wants to order a completely new locking mechanism and handle that is keyed-alike based on my VIN. IT is over $100 and will take over 30-days to obtain. Seems like all I need is the part that conects the interior portion of the handle to the latch mechanism.

Any thoughts ould be appreciated.

Thanks,

George
GJA@DSLEXTREME.COM

Old 06-26-2009, 11:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the mounting or locking plate has fallen off. I'd get the trim off and see what pieces you can find have fallen off. RAVE should then be a huge help in re-affixing the handle.

The trick with the interior trim is, once you have all the screws out, you have to pull the trim away... which will likely break one or more of the retaining screw/pin/clips. It's a pain.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this exact problem with mine. When you take off the door panel and look at the mechanism, the problem will be obvious. The problem with it not opening the door from the outside on mine was a broken rod that connects the door handle to the door lock. Mine was broken. Instead of ordering a new one, I removed the old one. It is nothing more than a rod with a series of bends in it. I then used the handle from a five gallon bucket, (same diameter rod) and used a torch to bend it into the correct shape. A couple of hours later, it was as good as new. The best part was I didn't have to wait for it to arrive from the dealer.