General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is this a sign the air suspension if going out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:28 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this a sign the air suspension if going out?

I just got he car about a month ago and i'm still alittle paranoid about the rep that these things can have. I noticed yesterday when driving home from work that about 3-5 minutes into my drive at a stop light my air suspension suddenly raised up slightly in the front? I have a 2005 Range rover HSE with 75K on the odometer, but i have the center button on the ride height switch turned on to lock the up down function. I didnt pay it much mind after that but this morning on my drive into work about 3-5 minutes into the drive at a light it did it again. After i got to the office parking lot i wanted to make sure that the system was having issues so i put the truck in park and brought it down to access level and it functioned fine, then i raised it back up to normal height and it did this fine too no sign of being sluggish or struggle but i did hear the compressor running for about a minute after normal height was reached is this all normal and i'm just being crazy? Please give me your input if i need to make a repair soon to save from having huge problems.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

IIRC there have been other posts of this being a normal activity.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah, when you stop the brakes cause the front end of the truck to dive a little. If not allowed to settle, the suspension will level it back out. You having the inhibit switch pressed will cause this to be exaggerated, as it will not level itself until it sees a large difference in height.

If it raises itself first thing in the morning to level out, that may be of concern, as that would indicate that while sitting, it leaked to a position that was not level.

I recommend using the system, lower it when you park, especially overnight. This will fold the rubber at a different location then at normal height, which will extend the life of the rubber. Most failures of these bags are due to cracking right on the fold line at normal height, and raising it above, or dropping it below will allow those cracks to flatten out and seal back up.

For a spring that is questionable, lowering it down may not be advisable, as it will have to raise back up, and a leak could prevent this from happening.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by roverguy7
Yeah, when you stop the brakes cause the front end of the truck to dive a little. If not allowed to settle, the suspension will level it back out. You having the inhibit switch pressed will cause this to be exaggerated, as it will not level itself until it sees a large difference in height.

If it raises itself first thing in the morning to level out, that may be of concern, as that would indicate that while sitting, it leaked to a position that was not level.

I recommend using the system, lower it when you park, especially overnight. This will fold the rubber at a different location then at normal height, which will extend the life of the rubber. Most failures of these bags are due to cracking right on the fold line at normal height, and raising it above, or dropping it below will allow those cracks to flatten out and seal back up.

For a spring that is questionable, lowering it down may not be advisable, as it will have to raise back up, and a leak could prevent this from happening.

Great help thanks alot, i was always under the impression that using the system alot will actually cause it to fail quicker due to the inflation and deflation of the bags. So when i have the system active it will lower durring shut down to allow access level and sit that way until entered again and started then it will raise to normal level for driving correct?

Old 05-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Pro Wrench

There are two ways to lower it, with the switch on the center console, and the switch on the drivers window switch pack.

They both lower it the same way, and I haven't found anything saying that the strategy is any different, but I have noticed that lowering it using the window switch, makes it raise back up much quicker when you start driving again. I suggest using that one while parking. It is also good practice to press the switch before actually coming to a stop, so that you don't bind the tires or bushings due to changing height.

But using it is good for it. It causes your compressor to run a bit more, but nothing crazy, and if it is in good shape, will not be damaged by running a normal amount. Compressor damage usually comes from a leak, and the compressor needing to run for extended periods of time to compensate for what is leaked out.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by roverguy7
There are two ways to lower it, with the switch on the center console, and the switch on the drivers window switch pack.

They both lower it the same way, and I haven't found anything saying that the strategy is any different, but I have noticed that lowering it using the window switch, makes it raise back up much quicker when you start driving again. I suggest using that one while parking. It is also good practice to press the switch before actually coming to a stop, so that you don't bind the tires or bushings due to changing height.

But using it is good for it. It causes your compressor to run a bit more, but nothing crazy, and if it is in good shape, will not be damaged by running a normal amount. Compressor damage usually comes from a leak, and the compressor needing to run for extended periods of time to compensate for what is leaked out.

Is that what that button infromt of the mirror adjustment buttons on the window switch panel is for? i was really confused on what it was for, so you said as i roll up to park push it right before i come to a complete stop and it will make it go down faster for easier access or exit? it will go up on its own when it reaches speed right? my vehicle didnt come with an owners maual so i'm learning alot of this on the fly sorry.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:22 PM
Pro Wrench

Yes, that button. Press it a few seconds before you come to a stop, maybe when you eye the parking spot. It lowers at the same speed, but it seems, to me at least, that it raises back up much quicker, as if it knows you only lowered it for parking. Either way, it will raise back up once you get above 30mph. Play around with it, and the timing of it, you'll get a feel for it.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Drifting

WOW this is awesome i just walked out into the parking lot at the office to go play with it and its really cool! I really thought i would miss my AMG i traded in for this thing but with all the little tricks i keep discovering i have yet to get bored or miss having a sports car!

Old 05-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

It will treat you just like the AMG when you go to the dealer for service.........

Old 05-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
It will treat you just like the AMG when you go to the dealer for service.........

Actually I've been pretty blessed with the AMG and previous M3's i've hd since i do generally all of the maintinance myself. The only things that i do go to the dealer for are things that i absolutely cannot do myself at home because of lack of special tools or machines. The range rover is just a whole new platform for me to learn but being an 05 i'm familiar with the m62 since my dad at one point had a 7 series. Still trying to narrow down some resources for parts and tools i may need later for these since i'm so new to the community.