General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splicing in a new blend motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Splicing in a new blend motor

Hey Gang,
I've ordered a single flap motor to replace a dead drivers side blend motor.

I took a look at the RAVE manual and it looks like I will have to pull the dash in order to clip it into the back of the HeVAC unit.

Since the drivers side motor is relatively easy to get to, I was thinking I might just clip the wires and splice the new motor to the old wiring. That way I won't have to dig any further into the dash. That should put me in and out relatively quickly.

Is there any reason I shouldn't attempt this? Has anyone else tried it? How did it work out?

Thanks!

Old 05-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,
I have never done this but I will tell you what I know. If the connector going into the HVAC unit is in good shape and you make a good connection, then no problem. However, many times when a motor fails, a lot of heat is created at the connection points. This could have created a bad connection at the connector on the HVAC unit. I would cut the leads where you intend to make your splice, then use a multimeter to check the wiring/connector for resistance. If all is ok, then make your splice. Others on the forum who have done this procedure on their RR may be able to offer more insight as to the reliability of the connector at the HVAC unit. Hope that helps.

Wilson