Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   General Range Rover Discussion - Archived (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-range-rover-discussion-archived-19/)
-   -   Unexplained noise w/ 2008 Range Rover S/C (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-range-rover-discussion-archived-19/unexplained-noise-w-2008-range-rover-s-c-39156/)

ShaneA96 03-15-2011 12:51 PM

Unexplained noise w/ 2008 Range Rover S/C

I recently purchased a 2008 Range Rover S/C, which I absolutely love it. However, I have noticed 2 very distinct noises that the dealership cannot seem to explain or provide a solution as to how to fix the problem.

Problem 1) There is an incessant howling noise when driving into a strong headwind which seems to be emanating from the windshield area. I took the car to the dealership, but of course, there wasn't a strong wind to help replicate the noise and they claim to have never heard of the problem before.

Problem 2) When the fan is on there is a low pulsating/humming noise that is constant along lower driver-side next to the steering column. The noise is definitely tied to the fan because it goes away when I turn it off.

The dealership seems stymied by the noise but said that it was common with other 2008 S/C models they tested. The noise is rather annoying, especially if you are not running the radio. I had a 2009 Range Rover Sport HSE and have never had a problem with fan noise. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.

LRScott 03-15-2011 11:15 PM

Number 1: Might be your wipers or a seal leak. Duct tape is an easy way to narrow down culprit.

Number 2: Is it when you have your cooled/heated seats on? If it is unrelated, it could be a blower motor. Our Escalade does this when you turn the seat temp controls on...

ShaneA96 03-15-2011 11:29 PM

Thanks for your input. It appears that the seal around the windshield might be loose. The blower problem exists even when the heated seats are off. Its a very bizarre sound that almost pulsates at a low hum and stops when the fan is off. I can accept if the noise is simply part of the vehicle's standard operation but I've never had a vehicle where a fan noise could be so annoying. You would think with a luxury SUV that regardless off its "off-road" reputation that the finer appointments would include a peaceful cabin.

Mrmerlin 03-16-2011 08:56 AM

to fix the wind noise get some closed cell rubber foam from ACE hardware and fit a piece under the trim around the windshield you might only need a thin piece this will stop the air from moving under the trim and making noise.
The fan noise sounds like a portion of the fan housing is touching an adjacent part and transferring the vibration it may take some dash disassembly to find this

paulstring 03-20-2011 08:15 AM

I have an '07 Supercharged and I have never heard a fan noise as explained. I would definitely try to convince the dealer to investigate.