General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent Advice Needed: 99 4.6 HSE

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 02:58 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent Advice Needed: 99 4.6 HSE

I'm about to purchase a 99 RR 4.6 HSE with 57k miles. Everything appears to be in working order BUT when looking at the engine -- on the drivers side there is a bunch of wet goo on the middle (top to bottom) of the engine - below the sparkplugs. Nothing leaking on the ground though. Also looks like the passenger side valve cover might have a slight leak.

Any ideas of what might be the cause?

Should I avoid the RR because of this?

Old 07-06-2007, 08:05 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Urgent Advice Needed: 99 4.6 HSE

My first thought was that the valve covers would be suspect for the wet goo..Im assuming a lot, that the goo is built up sludge thats not making it to the ground, it would take a bad leak that high up in the engine to show on the concrete.I havent had much experience with the 4.6, but one of my 97 4.0's was bad for leaks in the valve covers early on creating the wet goo. Just needed to be snugged down a bit. Ok are you mechanically inclined? I personally dont think its anything major, but if your buying without the thought of working on the vehicle at all Id think twice, mine have all needed work, some of which I cant fix, so are there dealers or qualified rover mechanics around you? Are you willing to spend the money on them? I dont mean to down a rover, I love them, they haveexcellent qualities, and some issues as well, as do most vehicles. If you answer these questions with no reservations and if your getting a great deal on the vehicle then go for it. The only other thing I would look at is whether it has the lucas electronics versus the boshe which came in mid year of 99I think you should research that. From what Ive read the later boshe engine is more trouble free, I of couse have a 2001and am having some electrical problems so who knows really but worth looking into. You canhave a qualified mechanic take a look at it, ride, drive, research, and hopefullyfind some records to justify the vehicle was taken care of, even with low miles, the showing of maintenance gives me peace of mind. good luck with your purchase, Andy.