Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   General Range Rover Discussion - Archived (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-range-rover-discussion-archived-19/)
-   -   Water pump this easy?? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-range-rover-discussion-archived-19/water-pump-easy-46330/)

georgep 01-02-2012 09:05 AM

Water pump this easy??

• 1 Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery. Open the valve on the bottom of the radiator with a wrench and drain the engine coolant into the drain pan. Close the valve on the radiator. Loosen the belt idler pulley with a wrench and remove the serpentine belt from the Range Rover engine.

• 2 Remove the three bolts on the water pump pulley with a wrench and take the pulley off the water pump. Remove the hose from the water pump by squeezing the hose clip with the pliers and releasing it. Remove the nine bolts securing the water pump to the engine block using a socket and ratchet. Pull the pump away from the engine block.

• 3 Clean any remaining gasket material from the engine block using the scraper tool. Place a new gasket and water pump on the engine block. Tighten the nine mounting bolts with the socket and ratchet. Connect the hose to the water pump by squeezing the clip with the pliers and pushing the hose on the fitting on the pump.

• 4 Install the water pump pulley and tighten the three pulley bolts with a wrench. Properly route the serpentine belt according to the diagram under the engine hood. Add tension to the belt by tightening the idler pulley with a wrench. Connect the negative battery cable and tighten the nut on the terminal with a wrench.

• 5 Refill the radiator and the reservoir with engine coolant. Start the Range Rover and check your work area for any leaking.

Thought you would have to take off the shroud, pull the radiator and then do the above. OR can you just take off the shroud and go at it. The new pump I am getting has the FLANGE ON it so that was the big thing CORRECT?

Savannah Buzz 01-02-2012 09:12 AM

Mr. George, I mis-spoke on previous post. I was thinking of an older unit than yours. The RAVE certainly lists a lot of things to do, certainly on the 2002 (not sure if it is same as 2001). Good luck.

georgep 01-02-2012 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz (Post 290328)
Mr. George, I mis-spoke on previous post. I was thinking of an older unit than yours. The RAVE certainly lists a lot of things to do, certainly on the 2002 (not sure if it is same as 2001). Good luck.

Mine is a 1999, so I found the info on a 2000. The Rave did not cover a P38.

Spike555 01-02-2012 07:31 PM

Yes it is that simple.
The '99 is a P-38, the DII and P-38 use the same engine so all work manuals will be the same for the engine.

georgep 01-02-2012 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Spike555 (Post 290445)
Yes it is that simple.
The '99 is a P-38, the DII and P-38 use the same engine so all work manuals will be the same for the engine.

Great!!!