Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   General Range Rover Discussion - Archived (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-range-rover-discussion-archived-19/)
-   -   Where do can you buy coolant? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-range-rover-discussion-archived-19/where-do-can-you-buy-coolant-27893/)

LMAC 12-30-2009 01:07 PM

Where do can you buy coolant?

Got an 05 Rover...looking for Basf G48, Arteco or Castrol NF...where can I purchase?:confused:

snugg 12-31-2009 10:26 AM

Any BMW dealer. It's at least a third of the price of a LR dealership. Just ask for g48 or the blue coolant.

Rovin4life 01-01-2010 08:16 AM

ask for mini coolant, bmw is more expensive.

Also parts for the engine can be more cheaper at a LR dealer compared to a bmw dealer. We occassionally have to get parts from them when we need to get the vehicle out quick.

RROJ 04-10-2010 02:14 AM

Coolant question. A friend put in that orange coolant and stated it was really good stuff. Do you agree? Its going in a 02 RR.
RROJ

hilltoppersx 04-10-2010 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by RROJ (Post 172009)
Coolant question. A friend put in that orange coolant and stated it was really good stuff. Do you agree? Its going in a 02 RR.
RROJ

its so much better for the environment... but so much more crap for you truck. Its called dexcool. Discover 2's use it as well. you can flush it out with a garden hose and replace it with green coolant or universal coolant

RROJ 04-10-2010 12:39 PM

Thanks for the note about its better to stick to regular green coolant. Are the 50/50 jugs acceptable or just stick to the pure green coolant?

LRScott 04-10-2010 01:10 PM

I would go with the factory recommended blue, thats just me. You can flush it out and use anything you want like hilltoppersx stated. The orange coolant is horrible and I would never recommend it. As a matter of fact I would tell your friend to replace his with green oat. I talked to someone I know in the automotive industry that works a lot with GM. He told me when dexcool goes from one extreme to another like from -10F to 200F the temperature differences actually cause its chemical composition to change. The coolant becomes more acidic and then eats away at the gaskets. Some people never have problems with dexcool because they live in warmer areas. For people in areas that will get below 0F in the winter, the problem will show its ugly face. The gaskets in RRs specifically the rover v8 tend to be weak anyways and having a more corrosive coolant definitely does not help.

RROJ 04-10-2010 03:50 PM

Eats away at the gaskets! Wow! I will tell him that he has been lucky so far. He does have slight moisture around the gasket at this time but the truck is almost at 100k, which I think we would all agree it is amazing for a head gasket to last that long. I will tell him his choices are "green oat" or the factory recommended "blue" coolant. Thanks again for comments and advice!