General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

02 Disco Makes High Pitched noise at highway speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 01:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 02 Disco Makes High Pitched noise at highway speed

Hey all,

I've been spectating on these boards for a while now as I've been looking for an entry-level LR for a young married man like myself. Happily, I found one recently and sealed the deal on (what seems to be) a mechanically solid 02 Disco II with 122,000 miles on it. When I test drove, the local highway speed limit was 65mph, and everything was good. No sounds/shakes/rattles.

After the purchase, I got on the turnpike and headed home--about an hour and a half away with a speed limit of 75. When I hit 70, I heard a very distinct high pitched buzzing sound. It reminded me of those "mosquito tones" that were really big on cellphones in the early '00s that sort of get into your head and sound like the sound is coming from all around you. It isn't super loud, but it is definitely noticeable, even with music playing. I hope that's a helpful description.

The sound only comes on when I'm accelerating. The moment I let off the gas at whatever speed, it stops. I've noticed that there does seem to be a lower grade, lower-sounding buzz at lower speeds, but it picks up and goes into high gear at 70 exactly.

It does it both on and off cruise control.

The previous owner says he had recently replaced the U-joints. But other than that, he said he hadn't done any serious work on it recently. Anyone have any ideas of what could be causing this? It bugs me just enough that I drive 68 just so I don't hear it haha. From what I've read, it seems as though it could be the serpentine belt.

I appreciate any and all help and wisdom you can provide!

Jason

Old 08-24-2013, 02:35 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

This is why I always tell people to do a pre-purchase inspection before they buy.
Can you call the old owner and see if he also replaced the centering ball on the front drive shaft.
How mechanical are you?

Old 08-24-2013, 03:04 PM
Three Wheeling

I'm an adept direction follower I did all my own work on my 74 Plymouth Duster in high school, but I've gotten rusty since then. My dad's a mechanical engineer and would gladly assist with any issue I need to take on, I just don't want to bother him with it until I've diagnosed the problem. I can call the owner to find out, I'll post back once he's responded. Thanks for the help!!!

Old 08-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Three Wheeling

Alright, he said he replaced all three U-joints on the front drive shaft and the rear brake pads, but that's it in the last couple of years.

It COULD be the transfer case. I watched a video (linked at bottom) that seems similar, but the sound in it is way more exaggerated and louder than mine. If I can drain it with a hodgepodge tool set, I can do that to see what color the fluid is if you think that's worth a shot. I haven't noticed a leak yet.