General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1990 ABS system/computer question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 07:38 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 ABS system/computer question

Well, it looks like the guy who sold me the 1990 Range Rover that caught fire on the way home may be towing it down here to me after all, and if so, I may be looking at options for trying to piece it back to driveable shape. It had an underhood and underdash fire, so the wiring is FUBAR along with the fuel injection and most likely, the ABS controller too. What I'm wondering is IF I decide to just eliminate the fuel injection and go with a carb and points distributor (or maybe even an engine/transmission swap) and just use a Painless brand universal wiring harness for the rest of the car, what would it take to either replace the ABS with the earlier non-ABS brakes, or would the ABS run without the original computer? This particular vehicle would likely cost more to repair back to stock than it would cost to just go buy another one already running, but I hate to just scrap it if I can rework it back on the road. Emissions inspections are not a problem where I live, so that won't be an issue with swapping , and either a Chevy 350 V-8 or maybe a 4.3 Chevy V-6 might work. I can live with some of the luxury items not working, and using aftermarket gauges for the engine. But that ABS system has me concerned about whether or not I can get it to either function without the computer or can something else work in its place? Anyone have any experience in this type of conversion?

Old 12-31-2005, 11:00 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1990 ABS system/computer question

To convert to a non ABS vehicle you would need a master cylinder to replace the hydraulic booster. New front calipers and lines. In other words, forget it.