General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 Discovery Went Muddin and now Runs Really Bad HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Discovery Went Muddin and now Runs Really Bad HELP!!!

Okay 1994 Discovery with 162,000 miles...... After months of work it Ran great.
So I went "Muddin" yesterday and was in a Rut with maybe 2 1/2 feet of Water right to the bottom of the doors and level with the back bumper.

Ran fine drove all night and just minimal trouble turning over to start which I figured was it drying out. (I washed it down right after including the engine bay) to get rid of the mud.
It was all over the engine and the truck and underneath

So last night on the way home it starts sputtering and when pressing on the gas (Nothing) does not accelerate or anything then it catches again and between misses and hesitation it gets power then back to sputtering and wheezing.... Almost like intermittently the accelerator was not functioning. I also should mention I have been getting code 19 since I bought the truck
Maybe the TPS finally went?

Did I kill my discovery? I noticed the inside of the airbox got wet and the filter had water on it.
Now I am really worried I messed something up.....This morning I checked the cap and Rotor and they were dry.......

Is this just the truck drying out or is there anything else I should check.
New plugs, wires, rotor, and cap within the last few months along with fuel filter and pump relay.

Maybe the fuel pump is going?

Seems odd it only started doing the same day I went muddin.....

I will post a link to the You tube video also....

I appreciate all the help

Old 04-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: 1994 Discovery Went Muddin and now Runs Really Bad HELP!!!

A couple of thoughts, you probably got the ECU wet in the process of cleaning the engine compartment.
You always pull your air filter after a water crossing, if it is wet, it sucks the moisture into the MAF and there goes the ball game. In your case, if it doesn't clear up you may need to clean the MAF with some really good electrical contact cleaner and hope it fixes it, other wise, you may be looking at a MAF replacement.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Drifting

Thanks Mike for all the Help I will disassemble the MAF and Clean it and also check the ECU Connections LOL......

Here is a link to the YOU TUBE VIDEO OF THE ACTION FROM YESTERDAY!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwUzzHBwApA

My infamous Discovery that thanks to this board and Disco Mike runs proud
and doubles as a Camel Trophy wannabe

Old 04-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Wait and clean the MAF as a last resort, trying to clean them can fix or kill them and they are not cheap to replace.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Drifting

Isn't the ECU inside the cabin (passenger's kick panel) for the 94 and 95 model years?

Old 04-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Drifting

I ran the Discovery tonight after work about 10 miles Round Trip and it ran alot better and did not miss or stumble once.
I think it dried out during the day a bit.....I am happy I have not grenaded the motor or ruined the truck.

I am going to thoroughly clean everything in the Engine bay though by Hand and take apart the Airbox and Intake and clean everything along with the wires and cap etc. (My other mistake was driving with a wet filter LOL)

I will take this one as a learning experience. I think Mike is right I must have got something wet when I hosed down the engine.

Mike how critical should I be on getting the Differentials flushed? Probably this coming weekend correct?
Should I refrain from running it much this week till I get it all dealt with LOL?

Also I cannot thank you enough because since I bought the Rover in October you have been a huge help in sorting it out and getting it to run right... This forum is amazing.

Mike you have been very generous and I am very appreciative. Hope you enjoyed the Video....