General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 D2 Transmission Temp issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 03:43 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 D2 Transmission Temp issue

My 2000 D2 trany light started coming on yesterday. I was driving slow on the city streets and it came on. I stopped and waited until it turned off and drove again, it came on again after a few yards. I limped on for miles (10-15 miles per hour), stop and go every time the light came on (for about 15 miles) and if I waited say about 10 minutes after the light turned off could go further before it came on again. I had to get on the freeway for a portion of trip home. The light did not come on driving on the freeway at all, and by then the outside temp had dropped by say 5-10 degrees F. I thought that was interesting and was wondering if the lower outside temp was the reason or just driving faster and getting more air thru the cooler. This morning I got on the freeway and the light did not come on. Got off the freeway and about 3-4 miles later it came on. Got back on the freeway driving at about 55-70 miles the light did come on but if I put the car in neutral and coasted it would go off in about 10 seconds. I got off the freeway driving about 25-35 miles the light came on, put the car in neutral and coasted at slower speeds it took about 20 seconds for the light to go off. I know the trany fluid if up to level, had it check. Any ideas what is going on please? Thank you all!

Old 05-03-2015, 10:11 PM
Overlanding

When was the fluid inspected? By whom?

Have you inspected the transmission (from underneath the vehicle)?

Have you tried to check the fluid level?

When was the filter replaced last?

Old 05-04-2015, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

In addition to the above thoughts, if your electric radiator fan is not working then the engine can be overheating. The heat gauge is programmed by some computer weasel to maintain a 50% reading over a very wide range. Temp can rise enough to hurt things like head gaskets, and still display in what the average guy thinks is normal. Have someone with a scanner that can read live data check your coolant temp after driving to parts store (they do it for free).

Radiator could be packed with mud and bugs. Could be low on coolant.

And from an electrical standpoint, there are two sensors that can turn on that light. One is tranny oil temp. The other is transfer case oil temp. If you suspect bad sensor they can be unplugged to isolate problem. Page 93 of 126 in the circuits manual shows the connection. C)686 is the connector on the switch on the left side of the transfer box. Just unplug. It grounds to turn on the light. Page 561 of 705 in the electrical manual has a color picture of the location.

The tranny oil temp sensor is near the battery, behind radiator at top level. Page 305 of 705 shows the exact location.

But because you said it went away with driving a speed that is air flow over radiator. Which should be supplemented by electric fan when hot.

Or maybe not if the Rover gods have decided to toast you early in the season.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:43 PM
Drifting

Took the car tyo the dealer today. They told me the trany fluid was dirty and had to be changed. Went ahead with that and the problem still remains.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:52 AM
Drifting

The problem is faulty temperature sensor on the cooler and I have one on order. Does anyone know what I have to remove to get to the sensor to change it? Thank you all!

Old 05-08-2015, 10:54 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Did they/you check the transfer case fluid?

Old 05-08-2015, 10:58 AM
Baja

Temp sensor is on bottom left side of trans cooler. Trans cooler is the bottom of the 2 coolers sandwiched in between your AC condenser and your radiator.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

^ , why do I recall it being on the right / passenger side?

Old 05-09-2015, 12:51 AM
Baja

Ah, I'm looking at the front of the car. Right side if you are in it.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:29 PM
Drifting

The dealer changed the trany filter and the gasket and filled it with fluid. So to get to the cooler in front of the radiator on the passenger side do I take the cover on top (over the fan) or do I take the entire front of off? Do I have to take the battery compartment out in addition to anything else? Thank you all!

Quick Reply: 2000 D2 Transmission Temp issue