General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ATF leak Disco 2 TD5

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 06:28 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATF leak Disco 2 TD5

Hello,
I recently joined the forum to get some tips and help and share (if possible) any of my experiences.

I have a 99 TD5 123k miles which only 12k miles ago had a transmission rebuild of some sorts by the previous owner.

I have a ATF leak and took it to the local indy and they said I need a recon on the auto box. They said that it is likely leaking everywhere inside and that is the only answer £1600 all in! I explained that it had some work just before I bought it and he said that is the job that they would not do and that is my problem, they only did half a job. I have the receipt and it was £950 for the work which, according to the illegible handwriting is something along the lines of this:

Remove and Strip and inspect automatic transmission strip forward and reverse -------- hubs fit new piston seals to hubs fit new reverse and forward and clutch friction and steel plates, reassemble transmission fit new filter refit unit refill with auto fluid and test.

Shocked at this and by the fact that they never even seemed to do a full investigation I sought an alternative perspective on the matter.

Number 2 indy said it looks like it is leaking between the auto box and the transfer box and that it possibly needs a new gasket.

It is booked in for this in a couple of weeks.

I am using it for small journeys only at the moment and checked the oil today and it is obviously losing more when I am driving however, when it is just sitting it is leaking about 250ml a week I would say.

I cleaned all the underside and ran it around for a couple of mins and put it back up on my ramps to see if I could determine exactly where it is leaking from.

It does seem to be from where the auto and transfer boxes join but, it also looks like it is coming from the bolts where the box is secured to the mounts, not sure if this is just where it is dripping to though.

I have some pictures.

The advice I am seeking is:

1. Anyone else had similar trouble and what did it turn out to be?

2. Is it likely to be a recon box given the above?

Thanks for reading and I hope someone can be of help to me.

Cheers

Bruce

Attached Thumbnails ATF leak Disco 2 TD5-wp_000134-arrows.jpg   ATF leak Disco 2 TD5-wp_000135-arrows.jpg  
Old 05-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Some gasket leaks are slowed by additives that swell the rubber and/or increase viscosity of fluid just a bit. In the States this product is sold by Lucas Oil, not related to the Lucas electrical guys. There are also products that just swell the rubber seals. While these are not pro fixes, they can reduce problems to a more modest leak.

The concept of a transmission shop taking advantage of Rover owners is widespread. People are terrified of leaks, when in fact you can usually afford to pour in more fluid weekly than pay the repair bill for that small gasket.

Attached Thumbnails ATF leak Disco 2 TD5-bad-mechanic.jpg  
Old 01-02-2017, 10:17 PM
1st Gear

Hi Bruce,

I have just come across this page and was wondering if you found a cure to your gearbox ? I am have a leak from which shows a similar pattern to your photos. Are you able to tell me how you got on?

Thanks in advance.

​​​​​​Simon.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:19 AM
3rd Gear

Hello Simon,
I took it to the chap that did the original work to the gearbox and it turned out to be the gasket and seals between the transfer box and trans. From memory, it was about £160 all in. I don't have the car any longer but did have it for at least a couple of years after and it was fine. Good luck.
Bruce