Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-tech-help-8/)
-   -   Delayed Air conditioning Compressor Start?? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-tech-help-8/delayed-air-conditioning-compressor-start-31741/)

jrover99 06-11-2010 11:13 PM

Delayed Air conditioning Compressor Start??

I have a 1999 Land Rover Discovery 11.
The air conditioning blows ice cold when the compressor finally kicks on. Sometimes it kicks on after 5 mins sometimes it takes an hour.
I checked the refrigerant that is fine, I replaced the condensor fan motor thinking that was the delay in the start of the air but that was not it either, It needed to be replaced either way. I did the diagnostic test on the control panel and I am getting a 00 reading. Any ideas out there cause I am somewhat stumped?? My gut is telling me it has something to do with the control panel a bad relay??:confused:

Rovin4life 06-12-2010 09:59 AM

Hit the button for the ac and check to see if its getting a signal to the compressor. if it isn't then its possible a bad wire or ecu.

ibis1 06-12-2010 08:23 PM

Intermittent A/C

Originally Posted by jrover99 (Post 182160)
I have a 1999 Land Rover Discovery 11.
The air conditioning blows ice cold when the compressor finally kicks on. Sometimes it kicks on after 5 mins sometimes it takes an hour.
I checked the refrigerant that is fine, I replaced the condensor fan motor thinking that was the delay in the start of the air but that was not it either, It needed to be replaced either way. I did the diagnostic test on the control panel and I am getting a 00 reading. Any ideas out there cause I am somewhat stumped?? My gut is telling me it has something to do with the control panel a bad relay??:confused:

I doubt you have a control panel problem. Swap the compressor relay with another or jump the 87 and 30 terminals and see if the compressor kicks in every time. The compressor relay is energized by a ground signal from the engine ECU and this is probably where your problem is. Jump your dual pressure switch to eliminate that and work back from there. ibis1;)

jrover99 06-13-2010 12:27 PM

????

Thanks for your feedback! I have looked in my Rave manuel for 99 disco II cannot find relay, Just need to know where to look. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jim:eek:

ibis1 06-13-2010 02:44 PM

Compressor relay

Originally Posted by jrover99 (Post 182389)
Thanks for your feedback! I have looked in my Rave manuel for 99 disco II cannot find relay, Just need to know where to look. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jim:eek:

It's in the engine compartment fuse box (marked on lid) and is fed by fuse number 6 (10 amp) ibis1;)

jrover99 06-14-2010 07:58 AM

So Far So Good!

This is Lu Jims wife not Jim so if I describe anything wrong its on me (lol) Jim switched out the relays yesterday I believe it was the #6 to the horn relay. Jim said see the horn is working thats not it. Everytime I started her yesterday the AC went right on. The problem usually is first thing in the morning so Jim said wait and see in the morning. I started the Rover this morning and Jim did not even try cause he did not think it was the relay and yes it came on right away. I asked him if the relay felt loose he said no maybe there was something on the terminal that was not letting it make contact all the way. In any event it's working so far go figure (lol)

Now to the next problem I will repost the question so all can see, When we bought the car it only had one key (the owner is looking for the other) the remote is broken you can visibly see this. So you have to unlock the driver door with the key which disarms the alarm, I have to open the other doors manually from the inside by pulling the door handles. How do I get a new remote and do I need to have someone (Rover) program the new remote or can I do it myself??

Thanks for all of your help, Any ideas on the remote let us know.

Thanks Again, Lucille;)

Disco Mike 06-14-2010 08:19 AM

What year is your Disco? I know that a D2 key will also unlock all the doors also, depending on the system is programed. Try turning the key 2 times to unlock all the doors.

jrover99 06-14-2010 08:36 AM

Actuator?

Sorry I have to put the year & make in my signature. Its a 99 Disco II. I thought I heard the seller saying something about an actuator when we purchased the vehicle.

Ok I tried turning the key twice nothing, I hear it trying (clicking noise) but no go on that. Its a spoiled brat woman thing I really would love the remote to work.

Anyway any other ideas let me know.

Thanks, Lucille:rolleyes:

Rovin4life 06-15-2010 06:28 AM

unless all the actuators are gone usually its one.

Is the remote not functioning or just completely broke? If it is non functioning and the battery is good then its possible it can be reprgmed to the vehicle. Its a bit complicated but you need to bring the thing to a dealer and they read the code off of the remote and with a special formula they can figure out the key code.

jrover99 06-15-2010 09:47 AM

Actuator

No the remote is broken. The buttons are not there, I really have to call the person I bought this from he said it would take him a little while to find but he knows he has an actuator and another key, So I will see what happens that would really help if the seller finds these two things. :rolleyes: