General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Disco 1 that can't be fixed???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 09:25 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco 1 that can't be fixed???

I have a beautiful 97 Disco 1 80K. Always has ran great. Battery kept going dead, trouble shoot-removed battery, used test light pulled out each fuse while light was connected. Discovered Alternator had draw-it was bad. After hooking battery back up truck doesn't start. No spark, no fuel, but turns over. Checked all fuses fine. Replaced Alt, and battery to be safe. Nothing. Replaced ECM stil doesn't start. Brought to Mechanic to troubleshoot tells me he can't fix it, he's been trying for three weeks. Said he has never NOT been able to troubleshoot an electrical problem, and knows Rovers. He's at the end of the line. I am thinking I might just sell the thing for parts. I have never experienced a car that can't be fixed until now. Any ideas? We tried two different ECM thinking the first one was bad, but what is the chance three are bad? Almost ZERO. I have manuals on DISC can't get this thing going. Its a complete mystery. five weeks without my rover, a horror story.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:28 AM
4wd Low
Default RE: Disco 1 that can't be fixed???

Are you getting spark? Ignition coil or equivalent ( I know it's distributor-less), relays? If you are getting spark, the next step might be fuel. Vapor lock? Dead fuel pump? Fuel filter. Need three things: Fuel. air and spark. Air is a given... Sometimes it is the most simple of things.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:51 AM
8th Gear

No spark, no fuel. But it is getting air! I brought it to the dealer. They called and said they can't communicate with the ECM, even though previously I changed it out 2 times. Delaer said they have one of the best LR mechanics in the country working on it and still can't figure out the problem! I am glad I am paying $100 an hour for this. All because I disconnected the battery. How can any company make a car like this? Never again.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:01 PM
4wd Low

Pinched/frayed/chafed/shorted wires? Loose connections? You'd be amazed how common this is in my "other" job... Just throwing out some ideas. I had a BMW once that kept dying. Turns out the connection to the computer was loose/broken. Simple solder job fixed it.