General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

disco 1 wont move in any gear unless tranfer case is locked

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 10:26 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally found my problem, jacked up rear end, wheels off the ground, transfer case unlocked, put in drive, found front drive shaft turning and noise coming from front right wheel. It didn't make this noise when locked going the road. Took it apart and found cv joint in pieces. bearings laying in the bottom. I just replaced this last year. I cant believe I changed the transfer case for nothing.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:36 AM
8th Gear

Now if I can just find the wire that is shorting out and blowing the fuse when I use the turn signals.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by bradsexton
Finally found my problem, jacked up rear end, wheels off the ground, transfer case unlocked, put in drive, found front drive shaft turning and noise coming from front right wheel. It didn't make this noise when locked going the road. Took it apart and found cv joint in pieces. bearings laying in the bottom. I just replaced this last year. I cant believe I changed the transfer case for nothing.
wondered if this was the case... glad you found it. Besides its bad to drive with the CDL locked.

common practice every once in a while to jack up every single wheel and rotate to check for noise, drive engagement etc.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:48 PM
8th Gear

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense. This same cv joint was broke when I bought it and the rear end worked fine. Here I thought when I locked it up that the front wheels were doing the driving. So I guess the transfer case does act like a differential and applies the torque to the easiest path available when its unlocked.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:38 PM
TReK
Received 760 Likes on 628 Posts

That's exactly what happens, and exactly why the CDL is useful. In cases of wheel slip, an unlocked t-case will send power to the slipping axle (unless traction control does something about it). A locked CDL sends power equally to the front and rear axles at all times. That doesn't mean that a slipping wheel won't continue to slip, but at least all the power won't be going to that wheel.
And contrary to the statement above, driving with the CDL locked isn't bad -- on unstable surfaces. That's what it's FOR. It's also not a problem if one of the driveshafts is removed. It's only a long-term issue when all four wheels have good grip.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:34 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

If you've gone through two CV's on the same side in about a year, you still haven't solved your problem. What's causing those CV's to disintegrate in short order? That's the question you need to answer.

The following users liked this post:
mollusc (02-16-2018)