Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-tech-help-8/)
-   -   Discovery 2 V8i and it's automatic (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-tech-help-8/discovery-2-v8i-its-automatic-62368/)

Jason Green 10-08-2013 11:47 PM

Discovery 2 V8i and it's automatic

Hello i'm new, New to the forum, new to Landrover's and new to working on cars. I have a Trans Temp problem i'm working on. I have read through a bunch of posts on the question and i think i have it worked out. Just want to get some additional advice i cannot seem to find.

What temperature range is normal for the trans fluid? i guess its somewhere around 80deg C. I can hold my hand on the cooler line when its hot and it don't burn.

What other trans problems should i be looking for other than the common sensor problem. Eg is the pump working? is it just plain worn out?

Another thing i'm not sure about is the location of the sensor, for some reason my car has it in a different location. Mine is right hand drive and sensor is between radiator and fan belt area, passenger side. I have unplugged it to confirm the dash warning light go's out.

Thankyou for any info and for all the info already contained in the forum. Great resource.

Cheers

Spike555 10-09-2013 05:25 PM

Just replace the sensor, its cheap, buy a used one if you need to.

Jason Green 10-09-2013 07:43 PM

I take it im worrying too much and i should just get on with it and see if the new sensor works.

jafir 10-09-2013 08:17 PM

It's almost always the sensor and not an actual temp issue with the transmission. But I won't say never.

dusty1 10-09-2013 08:42 PM

did some recent research on trans temps. basically, it should not pass 100c or 212f.
so 80c would be okay. the cooler the better.

Disco Mike 10-10-2013 06:23 AM

Also, that light will come on if the t/case over heats.
When was the last time you changed the fluid in both the tranny and t/case?

Jason Green 10-10-2013 01:38 PM

Thanks for the reply's, I have checked the transfer case sensor connection, its definitely the one at the front of the car that's triggering the dash light. However I have only had the car for 2 weeks. I'm thinking the idea to change out the oils is the best place to start while i wait for a sensor to arrive.

Cheers
Jas

Rovin4life 10-12-2013 04:50 PM

The trans temp sensor can be changed without pulling the radiator. just unbolt the sensor when you get the tranny cooler from the radiator. Whatever you do don't remove the lines leave them on.

Jason Green 10-18-2013 02:08 AM

Changing the oil fixed the problem. After a couple of days the sensor started working again. Lesson learnt, change the transmission oil regularly.

Spike555 10-19-2013 12:18 PM

I do a drain and fill on all of my driveline fluids once a year, its over kill but its also cheap preventative maintenance.