General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: engine noise

How long have you had the Rover? I understand "AS-IS" is what it states but if is a new purchase I would talk with the seller and see if they could offer any mechanicle work previously done. best case it is just a failed head gasket worst case a sleeve has sliped from an unknown issue,and a new head gasket will not solve the problem long term.This is where a trusted mechanic either you or another body can determin the root cause.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

thank you lrobin for standing up for us "thieves" at the dealerships. another point for the dealership, is if you go to a good one, if, by chance, theyre not right, and the head gaskets dont fix it, theres a good chance theyll take care of what ever it is that is wrong, anything to earn a new customer

Old 05-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks roverguy7. I completely agree with your statement. Ive seen many people show up at my dealership after being burned by some indy that cannot figure out there problem. You get what you pay for!!!

Old 05-29-2008, 03:03 PM
4th Gear

Hi, new here. The front axle joints are bad in it,,this is what causes this to happen you need to check them and see how bad they are,because they will have to be replaced on it but if i did one of them,id do both sides ,and just replace the whole axle it cheaper than buying just a CV joint. Good luck. I hope this helps.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:42 AM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: lrobin3w

Thanks roverguy7. I completely agree with your statement. Ive seen many people show up at my dealership after being burned by some indy that cannot figure out there problem. You get what you pay for!!!
Right and wrong. Undeniably, dealers normally (not always) have the most equipment and factory support. However, as you both know, work quality varies from dealership to dealership, and which of their mechancis is blessed with your car on each occasion is is wounded..

The sad fact is that no one is as vitally interested in a vehicle repair as the owner. That concern, coupled with some basic mechanical knowledge and care can often produce the most comprehensive repairs, especially with forums such as these helping out. Forums expose one to far more issues and fixes than dealer mechanics see and can walk the members through a repair far better than a Manual can.

There are not many LR mechanics who rush home to read the forums.

If one balks at touching a spanner, a dealer is undoubtedly the next best thing for a vehicle like a LR...not the fella with the jack at the corner filling station.

James