General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Headlight switch help

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 07:37 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight switch help

I am having trouble with my headlights. sometimes they would blink out. When they would do this and I would turn off the switch then turn them back on and they would work again. Tonite however, the left light has gone competely out and the right one is barely burmning. The dimmer light doesntcome on the dash wuen you try to turn on the brights. The dashlights work, but the fog lights wont come on either. I noticed that the heater fan switch goes off and on at different times as wel. could there be a ground problem, and if so, where to look? This has been a great site as I have used the advice given here before to solve probems. Any help appreciated.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:57 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Not sure what sort of truck you are driving but repost this where it belongs with more specific information and you should get a reply.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:13 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

pull the connector off the headlights you will find corrosion on them and bulb. you will need to install new head light bulbs and headlight bulb connectors. You can get them at any parts store as long as you match the right bulb. You will have to use heat shrink connectors to get an secure fit and no more problems. the heat shrink connectors are not the hard plastic ones but the soft ones. ask the parts guy for the right one and tell him you are installing them outside so you need to prevent corrosion. Also the lights are easy to pull out.

dont update to the most expensive if blinds other drivers and annoys them. expect alot of high beams at you for it.

and dont touch the adjusters or else the same effect. I adjusted mine to high once only to find I didnt need high beams.

The problem with heater switch most likely is the unit itself. Mine currently doesnt work in the highest setting. It aint a cheap part and I havent had to install mine. Anyway the hvac switch assembly is the ground. It will prevent the fan from working quite a bit.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:05 PM
4wd Low
Default headlight problem

Oops! Sorry about that Mike. I have a 1998 land rover discovery 1. I appreciate the info Rovin4life. I do not have corrosion but I did find the problem. I have a loose connection where the light wiring harness meets the light switch. I have yet to determine if it is in the switch or in the harness. Thanks for the input guys!

Old 01-23-2011, 11:41 AM
2nd Gear

Hi Mike, My daughter broke the headlight assembly on her 98 Land Rover driver side, I am not familiar at all with the SUVs. How is it removed? Thanks for any help Ty

Old 01-23-2011, 02:50 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the forum, I found owners manual in an earlier post for an 01 that was the same headlight assembly. Wow that was easy! Thanks again Shay