General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

indicator light on in instrument panel

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 01:16 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default indicator light on in instrument panel

hello everyone i just bought a 96 discovery, and my question is: there is a red simbol that looks like a thermometer with a circle that looks like a gear lit on the left side of the instrument panel, it comes on after the vehicle is been running for a few minutes and doesnt go away!.....any ideas?? thanks for reading.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Transmission over temp warning light -from the owners manaul, part of the RAVE shop manual download below:

DO NOT drive if a RED warning light remains
on or illuminates whilst the engine is
running.

and

Transmission oil temperature
- RED
Illumination indicates that
gearbox oil temperature is high (most likely to
occur in very hot weather during continuous
high speed driving, or whilst towing heavy
loads on steep inclines, or if the parking brake
been accidentally applied while driving).
If the light illuminates, reduce speed. If the
light remains on, stop the vehicle and do not
drive until it has extinguished.

1. Check tranny fluid level. Should be red in color, not brown, not red with lots of black grit (clutch dust particles) in it.

2. Check coolant level. Tranny fluid is pumped thru the driver side of the radiator to bring tranny fluid to operating temp and dispose of some tranny heat. There is also a paper towel bar in front of radiator that is just for cooling. Radiator temp gauge should be at 9:00 position or less. You should not have a sound like water rushing thru pipes under the dash (head gasket leak bubbles).

3. Check switch connector shown on attached drawing, it is on the bottom hose marked "5" on the drawing.

re: thanks for reading - you should download the RAVE and read the owner's manual. And our tech sticky section. Lots of things to do now that you have this new truck.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d1 tranny cooling.pdf (847.5 KB, 148 views)
Old 04-08-2012, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

And this light is shared by the transfer case temp switch. Owner's manual says "gearbox", they just don't say which one... From RAVE electrical manual:

Transmission/Transfer Box Oil Temperature
Warning Light
The transmission/transfer box oil temperature
warning light is grounded by the Automatic
Transmission Oil Temperature Switch (X108) when
the temperature of the transmission fluid exceeds
130°C (266°F). The warning light is also grounded
by the Transfer Box Oil Temperature Switch (X174)
when the temperature of the transfer box fluid
exceeds 145°C (266°F).

So check transfer case fluid level as well. If it runs low, very costly to repair. Will make a whine that increases with speed, and goes away when you let off the gas. You'll have to crawl under truck with a 1/2 inch socket wrench, square plug on rear of TC up mid level. Remove and stick finger inside to feel lube. You'll probaly want to be changing anyway. Small delicate drain bolt at bottom. Drain into something clean. You are looking for gray/silver metal (bad). Drain plug is magnetic, check for "fur". Many go back with 85W150 synthetic to quiet older transfer cases. While you are at it, service front & rear diffs (drain and refill). Then think about how to do your swivels (front CV) - many convert from oil to "00" grease. But that's another post.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 04-08-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Transmission over temp warning light -from the owners manaul, part of the RAVE shop manual download below:

DO NOT drive if a RED warning light remains
on or illuminates whilst the engine is
running.

and

Transmission oil temperature
- RED
Illumination indicates that
gearbox oil temperature is high (most likely to
occur in very hot weather during continuous
high speed driving, or whilst towing heavy
loads on steep inclines, or if the parking brake
been accidentally applied while driving).
If the light illuminates, reduce speed. If the
light remains on, stop the vehicle and do not
drive until it has extinguished.

1. Check tranny fluid level. Should be red in color, not brown, not red with lots of black grit (clutch dust particles) in it.

2. Check coolant level. Tranny fluid is pumped thru the driver side of the radiator to bring tranny fluid to operating temp and dispose of some tranny heat. There is also a paper towel bar in front of radiator that is just for cooling. Radiator temp gauge should be at 9:00 position or less. You should not have a sound like water rushing thru pipes under the dash (head gasket leak bubbles).

3. Check switch connector shown on attached drawing, it is on the bottom hose marked "5" on the drawing.

re: thanks for reading - you should download the RAVE and read the owner's manual. And our tech sticky section. Lots of things to do now that you have this new truck.
thanks for the info, i checked the tranny fluid and it looks good, there seem to be a small leak from the transmition pan that i will be fixing soon. i dont hear any water rushing coming from behind the dashboard. i will check the switch connector soon

Old 04-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Overlanding

And this light is shared by the transfer case temp switch. Owner's manual says "gearbox", they just don't say which one... From RAVE electrical manual:

Transmission/Transfer Box Oil Temperature
Warning Light
The transmission/transfer box oil temperature
warning light is grounded by the Automatic
Transmission Oil Temperature Switch (X108) when
the temperature of the transmission fluid exceeds
130°C (266°F). The warning light is also grounded
by the Transfer Box Oil Temperature Switch (X174)
when the temperature of the transfer box fluid
exceeds 145°C (266°F).

So check transfer case fluid level as well. If it runs low, very costly to repair. Will make a whine that increases with speed, and goes away when you let off the gas. You'll have to crawl under truck with a 1/2 inch socket wrench, square plug on rear of TC up mid level. Remove and stick finger inside to feel lube. You'll probaly want to be changing anyway. Small delicate drain bolt at bottom. Drain into something clean. You are looking for gray/silver metal (bad). Drain plug is magnetic, check for "fur". Many go back with 85W150 synthetic to quiet older transfer cases. While you are at it, service front & rear diffs (drain and refill). Then think about how to do your swivels (front CV) - many convert from oil to "00" grease. But that's another post.
thanks for the info; i drove the truck but i didnt hear any whinning noise coming from the transfer case. however i did see the light coming on while at idle. i will how ever do all those fluid changes you mention, by the way what would be a good lube for the diff?

Old 04-09-2012, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

You can determine which of the two units is causing the signal by unplugging the one for transmission, pretty easy to get to.

RE: i did see the light coming on while at idle -

an important piece of information. Unlkely transfer case would cool off when running at speed. But transmission would overheat at idle, if your radiator and condenser were packed with leaves and mud, look in front and between them. Also, check radiator fan clutch. If it is shot, you will have poor cooling at idle, once at highway speed normal cooling returns. Check clutch by spinning fan and release when engine cold. Should feel like peanut butter inside, stiff to turn, only go maybe 1/4 turn when released. Warm up truck. Stop engine. Spin and release again. Should go no more than 1 revolution. If it freewheels, clutch has lost the internal silicone fluid. $50 Chevy cross over in a write up in the the section.

This is ultra important because if clutch is bad you are also deep frying the engine at idle. The engine temp gauge is known for pretending to be normal. Anything above 50% on gauge is suspect. Best temp monitor is a scanner, Ultra Gauge, or something that plugs into the OBDII port (if you have one).

Attached Thumbnails indicator light on in instrument panel-p1120320.jpg  
Old 04-09-2012, 09:25 AM
Overlanding

Thanks for all that info, also what we are at it, my lights on my rover are pulsing at idle, but if I turn my headlights on, it seems to fade away. I bought this truck fairly cheap but it kind of concern me

Old 04-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Murphy's Law is a multi-volume set. You'll need a volt meter. Measure battery volts, truck not running. Turn on head lights. Volts should not drop below 11, or else weak battery. Crank truck. At idle, volts should be 13.8 - 14.4 volts. Turn on every gizmo in truck that came from the factory and draws power (AC, fan, wiper, radio) - volts should stay above 13.2.

Would be concerend that you have flakey alternator, and when you increase load (turn on head lights), it drops below 13.2 and is actually just running part of the truck off the battery.

A battery with a weak cell will show a good charge voltage, but won't hold that voltage under a good sized load. An alternator with a blown diode will show good charge voltage, but can't produce enough amps to carry the regular load of the truck (fuel pump, ECU, etc.) and extra load of lights, AC compressor clutch, electric fans, etc. You can have a good parts store check charging system in the truck. Also want to check belt route.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Overlanding

Drain into something clean. You are looking for gray/silver metal (bad). Drain plug is magnetic, check for "fur". Many go back with 85W150 synthetic to quiet older transfer cases. While you are at it, service front & rear diffs (drain and refill). Then think about how to do your swivels (front CV) - many convert from oil to "00" grease. But that's another post.
i did found "fur" on the bolt, the fluids were low, i didnt even got my finger wet, while draining i notice the fluids were dark redish color but i didnt notice any shavings on the fluid.... by the way any suggestion on how to pour fluid back in? it seems kind of ackward space

Old 04-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by elpapisf
i did found "fur" on the bolt, the fluids were low, i didnt even got my finger wet, while draining i notice the fluids were dark redish color but i didnt notice any shavings on the fluid.... by the way any suggestion on how to pour fluid back in? it seems kind of ackward space
If the fluid that came out of your transfer case was redish it was the wrong fluid, someone put transmission fluid in it, it takes gear oil.
You need a hand pump to put it back in, you can buy one for about $10 at any autoparts store.

Quick Reply: indicator light on in instrument panel