General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

key will not come out of ignition 95 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 06:36 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key will not come out of ignition 95 Disco

I have a 95 Discovery. The key will not come out of the ignition I would say 95% of the time. It will turn off but will not go to the lock position to dislodge. I have found that if not started every 48 hours the battery will drain (probably due to the key). When, the battery is completely dead however, the key comes out no problem, then when jump started it locks in the ignition again. Any suggestions?

Old 04-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: key will not come out of ignition 95 Disco

Doesn't make since. If the key sticks when completely to the off position, the only thing to hold it in is either warn and dirty tumblers or a warn out key.
Do you have another key, how does it work?
Mike

Old 04-23-2007, 10:33 PM
5th Gear

Unfortunately I have only one key...I guess I will have tolook into getting the tumblers replaced....Is this pricey? I figured that it might have something to do with the electrical wiring. Why does it always come out when the battery is dead?

Old 04-23-2007, 11:09 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I would suggest you take your truck by a lock smith and see what he recommends.
Mike

Old 04-02-2008, 10:57 AM
4wd Low

My Rover guy in Napa had to replace the tumbler in my 98 disco. Around $400 ouch!

Old 04-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your transmission selector cable is out of adjustment, you may not be fully engagedin park. thus the key will not come out. I would check this first.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Drifting

it needs and ignition switch/lock, key interlock not releasing.what you can do is remove steering wheel covers and unplug a two wire connector right under the ignition lock this will release the key, but be careful, now you will be able to take the key out in drive/reverse...
hope it works out

Old 03-22-2010, 11:40 AM
3rd Gear

Mine is doing the same. Just bought it yesterday.

If it were the lock cyl, typically it would not release at all. Since it will release afer disconnecting battery or disconnecting ign. cyl. plus, it leads me to the shift linkage. My all systems (domestic and import) have that as a safety feature to let you know your vehicle is NOT in part. However, sometimes (Chrysler? - Rover) this may not be the case.

Usually it is either (A) a sensor/switch that makes a connection, or (B) the shift or B.T.S.I. (brake-trans-shift-interlock) cable. I am going to look at it in depth tonight.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default DI intermittent Start Issue

Gentlemen,

I am experiencing an intermittent start issue and I am not sure whether it is the starter or the ignition switch assy or other possible contributor.

When I first bought it there was only one key and it was severly worn. I actually bent it trying to start one day. Also that key would only turn with one side up, if you flipped vthe key over, it was difficult to turn.

I got a replacement blank and had a key cut from worn one. The locksmith had to finely tinker with the edge of the cut to get key to work but it has worked smootly since. The key slot or mechanism seems to be a little loose, in that you may have to play with it a second or two to get it to turn smoothly.

I just went back out it cranked right up on first and second try, on third the key seemed to jam, so I switched it off, removed key and sprayed "electronic contact cleaner" into the keyslot. Waited momemtarily and the key turns much more smoothly, everything working mormal several starts within a few minutes. I have the binnacle loose and the top of the swich area open, Is there anything further to do in that area?

I have never had it open before so I want to proceed with extreme caution. I need to avoid damanaging the beast any further.

All input appreciated sincerely.

Lately, it is either no fire or works fine. it stranded me once and I am reluctant to drive as is. I have a replacement starter lined up, but I hate to tear out the old one if it is the switch.

Anyway to test switch?

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 03-22-2010 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Add Update
Old 03-23-2010, 09:34 AM
3rd Gear

Found the shortcut.
The BTSI will not release the key unless the battery is disconnected, or the ignition cyl plug is disconnected.

The fix: unplug the C2014 (2 wire) connector... located on the very bottom of the ignition lock cyl (plugs in left-to-right - look for the orange wire).
You will need a small thin screwdriver to release the connector latch - its waayyyy back in there for such a small connector.

Now everything works, and the key releases every time

Quick Reply: key will not come out of ignition 95 Disco