General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

key will not come out of ignition 95 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lrobin3w
If your transmission selector cable is out of adjustment, you may not be fully engagedin park. thus the key will not come out. I would check this first.
Is there a procedure for checking theadjustment of the transmission selector cable?

How does one make any needed adjustments?

Thanks.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tear out the ignition and wire a push button start

Or just use a screw driver on the black dial (you will know what I am talking about when you remove the ignition

To remove the ignition, take the plastic stuff off the steering, then use a chisle to knock off the two sheer bolts.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:39 AM
1st Gear
Angry key will not come oyt of ignition

i have a 1998 land rover discovery I. the other day i was driving home and it started making the noice like when you start the ignition, the buzzing sound, and would not stop, i took it straight home and check under the hood, everything is great...but can not get the key out. i have tried puting in neutal and then back in park, on level ground...it too drained my battery and had to charge it..and still cant get the key out...i have 2 more keys, but cant get this one out....help, help...please]
thanks
linda

Old 03-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by lindajordan
i have a 1998 land rover discovery I. the other day i was driving home and it started making the noice like when you start the ignition, the buzzing sound, and would not stop, i took it straight home and check under the hood, everything is great...but can not get the key out. i have tried puting in neutal and then back in park, on level ground...it too drained my battery and had to charge it..and still cant get the key out...i have 2 more keys, but cant get this one out....help, help...please]
thanks
linda

Step one
Remove the plastic cover surrounding the steering column. There should be three small Phillips head screws.

Step Two.
There are two sheer bolts on the top of the steering column. You need a sharp chisel and hammer for this. Basically they are just like normal bolts or screws with nothing to attach to. So you use the chisel to knock it lose then use your fingers. I found it easier to make a notch my hitting it straight down, then using that notch for some to bite onto when I rotated the bolt.

Step Three
Disconnect the Three(I think it is three) wireing harnesses from the ignition. I had to also cut a zip tie.

Step Four
At the back of the ignition there are two very very tiny Phillips head screws holding a round black switch. Take those almost out (they can stay hanging in the ignition) .

Step Five
You are done. Now all you have to do is stick a flat head into that plastic switch and rotate it.

Now I am going to go a step further and cut it off and do a push button start

The ignitions are pieces of **** on these cars. I would not bother with a used one.