General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need help with a 97 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 07:09 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with a 97 Disco

Hey everyone

I inadvertently posted some tech questions in the newbie forum. I apologize. Here are some questions I have regarding a 97 Disco that was on a dealer lot for 2 months. The Disco had the diff lock activated for the entire two months because the dealer didn't know what it was or how to operate it. It was test driven numerous times with the diff locked engaged. So, my questions are in regards to the diff lock and the transmission. I've had the truck for the weekend and have had some problems (see question 4 below). I'd like some advice if anyone could help.

1. Driving with the diff lock will damage just the diff or the entire transmission?

2. How much does a new diff and transmission cost? I've heard estimates of around 3K just for the tranny.

3. Any signs to look for that indicate a bad diff?

4. I've had the tranny drop a few times (went into neutral) while in the high four wheel mode (not the diff lock) and I had to stop and reset the transfer gearbox. Is this common and is this a sign of a bad diff?

I apologize for being such a noob, but I want to make an informed decision. Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Need help with a 97 Disco

There are too many good Discos out there, don't buy into this potentially hugh expense, walk away from it.
Mike

Old 01-10-2007, 01:36 AM
4th Gear

You should probably hand the keys back to the dealer, and promptly turn around and run as fast as possible. Unless he's prepared to spend some serious coin on it replacing some things (REPLACE, not fix. If he says he'll fix it he'll throw a banana peel in the gearbox and tell you it's sweet as new). I heard of a guy with a Landcruiser wagon, who's missus drove around all week with thecentre diff lock (transfer case) engaged, ended uptwisting thegearbox coupling off or something.Whatever happenedtheyall of a sudden didn't have a 4WD, and I'd hate to seehow much it would have cost.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Drifting

I would run away like I hada 750lb mountain gorilla chasing me....