General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil in the Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in the Coolant

Hi all,

I just made a big mistake. I was distracted while checking/leveling fluids in my new (used) Discovery 1. I meant to fill up the coolant reservoir, but I mistakenly poured about 1/3 quart of oil in there.

I have not started the truck yet, or flushed anything.

What should I do? Flush the coolant and radiator?

Thanks

Old 06-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Hmmm - since not started yet, un-do the hose on bottom of coolant jug and drain it out. Then wait to see how much shows up later. If you have some "pig mat" grease absorbing shop drip material, some can be placed in coolant jug to attract oil. Big boats have floating filters to absorb oil and prevent water sheen of oil spills.

Speaking of oil spills, the regulations state that any spill that forms a sheen on water is reportable. Be kind to neighbors downstream.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:01 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Hmmm - since not started yet, un-do the hose on bottom of coolant jug and drain it out. Then wait to see how much shows up later. If you have some "pig mat" grease absorbing shop drip material, some can be placed in coolant jug to attract oil. Big boats have floating filters to absorb oil and prevent water sheen of oil spills.

Speaking of oil spills, the regulations state that any spill that forms a sheen on water is reportable. Be kind to neighbors downstream.
I placed a pan under the engine and pulled that hose. It splashed around, but mostly went into the pan and onto my feet. I then filled with half filtered water/half coolant. Hopefully thats all okay.

Thanks for the advise. I'd hate to spill.