Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-tech-help-8/)
-   -   Overheating, won't hold coolant (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-tech-help-8/overheating-wont-hold-coolant-30317/)

leve8888 04-10-2010 05:22 PM

Overheating, won't hold coolant

My engine is overheating after even short trips. I tried putting water/coolant in the reserve and it leaks right out the bottom. I took it to the nearest place but they couldn't locate the leak and wanted $207, to take apart the engine to see if they could find the leak. Any suggestions?

DownUnder 04-11-2010 03:19 AM

What vehicle do you own? Are you seeing it leaking out from below the expansion tank? We need more info to help you.

leve8888 04-11-2010 03:30 PM

more info

OK thanks, sorry, this is my first time trying to use this. Also I am not a mechanic by far! I have a 2003 Discovery SE, when I put the water or whatever in the reserve it is dripping from somewhere under the truck. I tried getting under there yesterday to see if I could see the source, but I am 9 months pregnant and couldn't get in there enough. But it's from underneath, doesn't appear to be from the radiator or I'd imagine the jerks from lst week would have given me a quote for 2 grand already. Anything else I can tell you?

Spike555 04-12-2010 06:55 AM

Find another shop.
www.cartalk.com, fine the "Mechanix Files" link, enter your zip code and recommended shops in your area will come up.
Just to find the leak should only be $50 or so, def no more than $100.
Fixing it is another story but you need to find it first.
Make sure you keep the reservoir full, if you let the temp gauge get into the red you will blow up the engine.

Disco Mike 04-12-2010 09:52 AM

And next time post your question in the Discovery section where it belongs for better feed back.

yloDiscoII 04-12-2010 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by leve8888 (Post 172238)
water or whatever in the reserve it is dripping from somewhere under the truck. I tried getting under there yesterday to see if I could see the source, but I am 9 months pregnant and couldn't get in there enough. But it's from underneath, doesn't appear to be from the radiator?

Check and make sure all of your hose clamps are still tight. I finally pinpointed my leak to a failing clamp underneath the reservoir. Replaced the stock "snap" style clamp with worm clamp yesterday, and no more mysterious coolant loss! I will go through and replace the remainder of those garbage stock "snap" style clamps with worm clamps this week.

And 9 months pregnant, crawling under a Rover? WOW!

leve8888 04-12-2010 03:32 PM

thanks

thanks for everyone's help. I am hoping it's not a big repair job, I just need to find a mech in my area that is familiar with Land Rovers! They all say they know how to work on them, but from their diadnosis it's very apparent they have no idea what they are doing!
Thanks again!

d2luvr 04-12-2010 04:16 PM

Knowing how and knowing what you are doing are two very different things on English made cars. You need a shop that 1) knows Rovers OR 2)is a good radiator repair shop (as they specialize in coolant loss). You could post on here and ask for recommended shops in your area.