Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-tech-help-8/)
-   -   Remote start & fuel (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-tech-help-8/remote-start-fuel-40092/)

jimyal 04-19-2011 11:15 AM

Remote start & fuel

Hi, Just purchased a 2005 LR3 SE. Is it a good idea to put on a Remote Starter,or is that going to mess up the electrical system? Also the book says to use 91 Octane or higher. Is there any way to get around that,with feul prices on the rise? This is my 1st Rover so not very knowledgable about them. Thanks in advance,for any advice

Rovin4life 04-19-2011 12:12 PM

no remote starter. Gets costly when they screw up and they do. Plus you have donate a key a pray nothing goes wrong. As for the gas if it aint premium your cel light will always be on and it will run alot worse. Suck it up its a luxury vehicle. Plus, why the hell are you bitchin about gas prices if you want to put a remote car starter in.

jimyal 04-19-2011 01:44 PM

Thaks for your input!!!!!!!!!

Spike555 04-19-2011 07:08 PM

Remote start equals bad idea.
Yes you must use premium fuel, if not you will loose MPG and it will cost you more money because you will use more fuel due to the lower MPG.
Not to mention damage to the engine.

antichrist 04-19-2011 08:52 PM

I'm confused. You're worried about fuel prices but you are thinking of installing a remote starter that actually wastes fuel.

jimyal 04-20-2011 09:50 AM

Not concerned bout prices,just wondered if 91 0ct.was a rule,or suggestion. As for the remote start,i have had these in every vehicle for the last 20yrs because my Wife has a health issue with blood circulation and i like to get the car warmed up for her. But no problem,i can start with a key.Was kinda leaning that way anyhow after reading manual.

Chris-bob 04-20-2011 12:45 PM

91 octane fuel is a recommendation from the manufacturer. If you want to put something else in, it's up to you. When you disregard the manufacturer's recommendations, you take the risk of having the vehicle run contrary to the way it was engineered. Some people only put 91, I put 90 in cause we don't have 91. Some people put 89, 88, 87, 85...whatever they want. Some people probably put E85 in the thing too and it works. It's up to you to decide if it is worth the risk. Maybe nothing will happen...maybe the engine will melt into a recyclable lump. Who knows.

Disco Mike 04-20-2011 03:21 PM

91 is a starting point 93 or higher is better.

antichrist 04-20-2011 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by jimyal (Post 240501)
i have had these in every vehicle for the last 20yrs because my Wife has a health issue with blood circulation and i like to get the car warmed up for her.

You're the first person I've ever seen that was interested in one for any stated reason other than wimpiness.
I'm pretty sure people have installed them in LR3's without issue.